X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdave
    Apprentice
    • Jun 12 2006

'58 rear suspension

Help my 58 is giong through a mid life crisis! I need new bushings in the rear suspension. Does anyone know where to get them? I know that the 58 rear suspension is different then the 59 and 60, so parts are hard to find. I called a place in Stockton, CA, but they wanted $750 for bushings, ouch. Anyone know of a cheaper route?
    Tbirdave
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

I spoke with Pat Wilson last year after he had rbuilt a 58 rear suspension. He mentioned that not all the bushings are being reproduced and one has to rely on finding NOS parts for the job, He mentioned $1000 just for parts was the going rate, if they could be found.

Maybe check with companies such as 'Just Suspension' or in Hemmings to see if there's new products available.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

You might get some info. from John at tbirdranch.com

Comment

• tbirdave
        Apprentice
        • Jun 12 2006

58 rear suspension

I found a set on the Bird's neast website for $375. Does anyone know if all the busings are included?

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Call Lance @ Thunderbird Southwest in LaGrange Texas. I don't have the #. He has a pretty cool website. I think the 58 TB was the only Ford in those years to use coils. Take em to a (good) auto supply, maybe they can match em.

Add a rear sway bar too !!! lance can help you w/that !!!

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'58 rear suspension

Lance's phone number is: 800-722-8697

Ray

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
              Experienced
              • Mar 31 2004

58 Rear Bushings

The ones listed for $375 as my memory serves me were not a complete set and they are also no longer available.

The complete set is 17 bushings and to reproduce is a big pain.
              Rare Parts in Calif. is the only ones with complete sets and thought their price was over $1000 so if you find a complete set for $750, I would jump at them.

It took me over 3 years to get sets from a gent in Florida and don't want to put anyone thru that mess.

Good Luck
              Fuz
              58's&64's
              Sun Prairie, Wi.
              tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• lincolnguy
                • Oct 5 2007

Does anyone know what parts are missing in the kit ? The bird nest shows their kit as 44 piece set.

Comment

Get a Moog catalog .There are hundreds and hundreds of bushings listed in the back of the book and you will have to match dimensions. There will absolutely be something exact or real close. Maybe the bolt will have to be a little longer etc. Even if it were available reproduction I find these repo parts inferior in quality. They are usually made in Taiwan or China and are total garbage. Especially the aftermarket ball joints.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎