Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nocontrol
    • Feb 10 2011

just ruined rear insulators

Just made expensive mistake with new bushing set for my 58. Apparently, I over tightened the insulator bushing bolt causing the lower rubber to compress so much when unloading the springs that they split. Does anyone have any information about the correct procedure when installing these bushings they'd like to share with a bummed out Bird owner?
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Does it say anything about this task in the Ford service manual for your car?
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Steve, did you go through the thread Anders wrote?:
      This forum is for discussions of all topics relating to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Thunderbirds.

Anders also has a '58. He couldn't find proper bushings and hardware so he had them made. Check it out. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by nocontrol
        Just made expensive mistake with new bushing set for my 58. Apparently, I over tightened the insulator bushing bolt causing the lower rubber to compress so much when unloading the springs that they split. Does anyone have any information about the correct procedure when installing these bushings they'd like to share with a bummed out Bird owner?
        How on earth could they split?
        What material are they made of, and what shore are they?
        You shall also be very careful not to tighteen that bolt, as you will limit the travel of the whole rear suspension. Itīs something wrong with the whole geometry, and thatīs why they changed to leaf spring in ī59. But if you go through my tread ( will take you a day or so ), you will be able to get your suspension working fine. Mine is still tight, quiet and fine after 1 year, and I start and enter each and every drive with those 3 speedbumps on our street
        Last edited by Anders; April 29, 2012, 09:44 AM.
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎