Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generator problems or maybe not.........

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newyear
    Experienced
    • Jan 4 2005

Generator problems or maybe not.........

Hi,
    I'm writing asking for some general advice on how generators work . I've experienced some problems recently whereby the generator light would light up as soon as the engine was running . In this instance I had the generator inspected and a new rear bearing fitted and the brush carriers cleaned as the brushes appeared to be sticking . This happened twice . Now, all appears OK at engine idle but occassionally at cruising speed the warning light can be seen flickering and on one occasion it came on for about two minutes solidly before going off again .This was at night so I had dipped headlights. I probably should have stopped but due to traffic density and panic it was not possible.I took the battery out when I got back and found that it only needed a slight trickle charge to fully charge it (According to the charger ammeter) . I'm curious to know if when the generator warning light is displayed it means there is no current being produced for lights /ignition etc or whether it means that the battery is not being charged and that core electrical requirements are being met. I have a 95 A/H battery fitted at present which maybe beyond the generators ability to charge . Belt tension seems fine but I imagine if this was slipping it would not charge the battery at all.
    Best wishes

Peter

RE: Generator problems or maybe not.........

Well I think its normal for your GEN light to lightly flash at idle (mine does), but I'm not sure about it going off when driving. Mine usually goes off as soon as I raise the rpm even a little. I've had trouble with a power drain lately where my car runs fine, but the lights dim at lower RPM and the car often wont start after sitting for any amount of time. I also have a new solenoid, gen, and starter. Im thinking heavier battery cables might help?

Comment

• newyear
      Experienced
      • Jan 4 2005

Many thanks for your advice
      Peter

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The generator light is on a wire that runs in parallel to the voltage regulator contacts. When the generator is up to speed, the contacts close and the light goes out. The generator light may be dimly lit at idle when the headlights are on. Generator-equipped cars need faster than traffic-jam-speeds to keep their batteries charged. If the light flickers at speed, there may be a problem with the generator, the generator belt, wiring or the voltage regulator.

The generator should have no problem keeping any modern battery charged.

Wow! How did I manage to make 1001 posts on this board?

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

I have a rebuilt generator, new voltage regulator, new selenoid, new battery, and cables............and my 58 still has the "dimming when at idle" twist to it. My father commented that this was common on generator cars........and as long as the generator light didnt come fully on while driving .........everything was ok. It can be annoying at night though when you slow down to stop and you get a feeling like you may cut off. You could EVER SO SLIGHTLY increase your idle speed at the carb...........but I wouldnt worry too much. Cleaning all the contacts in your system can help too.

Comment

when you do not have good groud this "dimming " will happen. I have 4 cars with generators and the only one that does this is the chevy, rev the motor slightly and the lights brighten. this is because the fan belt is loose.Under your voltage reg there must be a good ground suface.I have a thunderbird(1960)it has very bright lights and the generator light never flickers. There is a ground strap on the passenger side of your motor under the hood near the back of the motor I bet this wire has not been replaced or it may have resido under it or it may not be tight check it thundebirds have good charging systems when they are in order. :+

Comment

• newyear
              Experienced
              • Jan 4 2005

Many thanks for your help

Comment

• newyear
                Experienced
                • Jan 4 2005

Comment

• newyear
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 4 2005

Comment

• newyear
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 4 2005

Comment

• Thunderhans
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 12 2004

Peter,

Maybe it's obvious, this is a simple test: if you doubt if the generator is generating any electricity you can look at the head lights. When these become brighter if you increase the rev's above idle then you can be sure that the system voltage is increasing => this must be the generator at work.

Most likely then the battery is charged as well.

Hans
                      1959 Hardtop
                      430 ci
                      Hans
                      black 1959 hardtop
                      430 ci

Comment

If your generator light lights up a low rpm this means your voltage regulator points are not set exactly.it is not charging when you need it.Gt another one and polerize your system. make sure your ground strap is in good condition as well }>

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

Agreed. Sounds like a regulator problem. My light will come once in awhile at idle. I have had the contacts in the v/reg stick before though. I've also found while putting the top down it's best to have the engine running at about 2000 rpm (aprox). The conv top motor draws more power than people realize.

JB

________
                          ITUNES GIFT CARDS
                          Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎