Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scsexton
    • Feb 26 2017

Tail Light Question

A couple of years ago I inherited a fully restored 1960 hard top from my cousin when she passed away (she bought it in 1961 - her first car). Unfortunately, I am not much of a mechanic, and I am having trouble replacing a rear tail light. I managed to get the bulb housing out (with vice grips), and the bulb removed and replaced. But I cannot seem to get the bulb housing to reconnect to the frame - it does want to attach again no matter which way I turn it. Is there a trick or am I missing something? Sorry for the stupid question, but I do not want to damage anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. BTW, very cool website.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are lugs on the bulb socket. You have to line up the lugs on the socket with the notches on the tail light housing and turn clockwise while pushing on it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Steve - no stupid questions around here - if there were I'd be the king anyway. Bet I've asked some real doozies -

I was trying to remember how the sockets worked - man it's been a long time since I've had to replace a tail light bulb (thank goodness)

John - this is an old post but I was looking at the assembly trying to remember .....
      http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=5045

It looks like the bulb socket has 4 tabs that clip into the lens backing plate?

If you turn the bulb socket to match the notches in the lens backing plate that's how you get the bulb socket out correct?

Then to replace the bulb socket - it would have to be in some other position rather than lining up with the notches so it would stay in place?

Can that lens backing plate spin and keep the socket from staying in place?

Eric

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It usually takes a quarter turn in either direction to remove and install the socket once you have the tabs lined up. I've never seen the lens backing plate move once it's screwed into the bezel.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Scsexton
          • Feb 26 2017

This is all very helpful. I will give it a try. Thank you.

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I seem to remember having a similar problem and ended up cleaning and lubing my light sockets. Its been a while, but if you pull the black rubber back to expose the backside of the socket, there is a sleeve on the backside. There is a spring inside that I believe loads the socket in the tail light assembly and keeps it tight when installed. These get corroded and can lock up which makes socket install really tough. I would remove the black rubber sleeve and spray the assembly with something like WD40 and see if you can free things up, then try and insert the socket by pressing it towards the housing and turning in a clockwise direction. Let us know if this helps.
            Nyles
            Attached Files

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

Really? No wonder mine were so loose to re-install when I pulled the tail light assemblies for cleaning. I thought the sockets or lamp housings were trash. I thought I pulled the sockets out and damaged the housing even though nothing looked bad. I can tell you the sockets are next to impossible to find.

Dean

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tail Light Question

Dean, have you talked with Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here? Carl has lots of Tbird parts off his parts Squarebirds. PM him and see what he has available. Talk with Don at the Bird Nest, and the guys at Tbird Hqs. Check the For Sale / Parts Wanted Forum. There are Forum members who have parts off their parts cars for sale... Let us know how you make out..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎