This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM

MagicMan is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Question???

Hey Fellas,

Been awhile since I have been on here, I have a question about transmissions???

I would like to replace my Cruise O Matic with a C6, can I bolt one in without any modifications?

My goal is to go with something lighter and more reliable.

Thanks,

Merlin
Old 03-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It's not a straight bolt in. You will have to modify the trans mount and the linkage. It's certainly doable though. Others who have done it can probably be more specific.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The C6 came with a one-piece bell housing/transmission case. The C6 was also used on many Ford engines. So to answer your question directly, YES, but only if the bolt pattern on the trans is for an FE engine.

For example, if the C6 came from a 390 F100, you're good to go on a 352.

I don't regard the C6 as lighter. It's a higher-torque transmission that eats more HP just to run. Race car users love the C6 with the 9" rear end. There is nothing wrong with a Cruise-O-Matic as I use one in our '59 Galaxie. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-11-2018, 03:34 PM

MagicMan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response,

I am still trying to figure out a direction to go my manifold matches up to a mid 60's 390 and my tranny leaks pretty bad. When I tried to find the casting numbers on the head I had no luck so I am not sure if it is a 352 with a 390 manifold???

I figured that if I were to take the motor out for a rebuild maybe I would be better off putting a more reliable transmission in it.

FYI, 59 Tbird body is straight, I was going to sell it but my friend is talking me into fixing it...
Old 03-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
...and my tranny leaks pretty bad.
...I am not sure if it is a 352 with a 390 manifold???

I figured that if I were to take the motor out for a rebuild maybe I would be better off putting a more reliable transmission in it...
Am I missing something here?

Your 50-60 yr-old trans leaks, so you're looking for a more reliable transmission? Seriously?

I don't know what a leaky transmission has to do with a failing motor but I assume they are both simply old and tired. Seals do very well if they last that long in anything.

I assume you will overhaul your engine AND transmission because that is what I would do. To find which engine you have do the following:
  • Put your timing marks on TDC.
  • Pull #1 and #4 spark plugs because when #1 is up, #4 is down.
  • Insert a stiff rod (like a welding rod) down #1 spark plug hole and mark it at the valve cover flange with a Sharpie.
  • Now, stick it down #4 and mark it.
  • Measure between your marks.
The stroke of a 352 is 3.5" and a 390 is 3.78 which is more than 1/4" difference. Simply put, if your marks are more than 3-1/2" you have a 390.

If you don't want to overhaul your engine and trans, how much are you asking for your car? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave

Quick Question;
There are 2 band adjustments, right?
Can one out of adj cause an intermittent slippage
btwn 2 & 3 (say @ 1/3 throttle) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Am I missing something here?

Your 50-60 yr-old trans leaks, so you're looking for a more reliable transmission? Seriously?

I don't know what a leaky transmission has to do with a failing motor but I assume they are both simply old and tired. Seals do very well if they last that long in anything.

I assume you will overhaul your engine AND transmission because that is what I would do. To find which engine you have do the following:
  • Put your timing marks on TDC.
  • Pull #1 and #4 spark plugs because when #1 is up, #4 is down.
  • Insert a stiff rod (like a welding rod) down #1 spark plug hole and mark it at the valve cover flange with a Sharpie.
  • Now, stick it down #4 and mark it.
  • Measure between your marks.
The stroke of a 352 is 3.5" and a 390 is 3.78 which is more than 1/4" difference. Simply put, if your marks are more than 3-1/2" you have a 390.

If you don't want to overhaul your engine and trans, how much are you asking for your car? - Dave
Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Experienced

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
...I am still trying to figure out a direction to go my manifold matches up to a mid 60's 390 and my tranny leaks pretty bad. When I tried to find the casting numbers on the head I had no luck so I am not sure if it is a 352 with a 390 manifold???...
The casting numbers for the cylinder heads should be on the outside, top, center, near the exhaust ports.

The casting numbers for the engine block are on the passenger side behind the generator. From lying under the vehicle the numbers will be upside down in orientation.

This link shows an example:
http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/engine/partnums.htm
Old 03-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
Hi Dave

Quick Question;
There are 2 band adjustments, right?
Can one out of adj cause an intermittent slippage
btwn 2 & 3 (say @ 1/3 throttle) ?
'60 C-O-M, right? By 'out of adjustment' I assume the bands are loose and not able to tighten around its drum, but it shifted.

Much of this has to do with torque and linkage adjustment as well because the transmission should kick down under load. The simple answer is, yes. A more practical answer would be, 'adjust your bands' and verify your linkage is correct.

Band operation can be checked with simple air pressure, either on a bench or in the car. To check hydraulic pressure, the engine needs to be running. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave,

So what it will do (Only once in awhile) is - Say you take off from a light, moderate throttle (cough cough)
Shifts 1-2 great- it will slip into 3rd - say 35 mph.
Now if you going 20 mph, and hit it right to that 1st detent(about 2/3 throttle) it'll drop into low (It'll SH__ & GIT) & sometimes even chirp the tire into 2nd, then a good solid shift into 3rd.
Good @ higher speeds too. If you're going 50 or 55 (you have to floor it) but it will drop into 2nd & run to about 70 mph. Good solid shift into 3rd. After that . . . Hang on !!! You'll be
in triple digits in a few seconds. It's pretty funny actually.
Hauls A__ for what it is

Anyhow, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
'60 C-O-M, right? By 'out of adjustment' I assume the bands are loose and not able to tighten around its drum, but it shifted.

Much of this has to do with torque and linkage adjustment as well because the transmission should kick down under load. The simple answer is, yes. A more practical answer would be, 'adjust your bands' and verify your linkage is correct.

Band operation can be checked with simple air pressure, either on a bench or in the car. To check hydraulic pressure, the engine needs to be running. - Dave