• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoffInCarlsbad
    Experienced
    • Jul 4 2015

Finding a leak in an Exhaust

Hi all:

I could hear a serious chug-chuging sound on the passenger side exhaust manifold area. I needed to verify where the leak really is. I used the following method, with pictures, to do this.

I cleaned out thoroughly my shop-vac. Washed it down inside and out, including the filter. Let it all dry out for 2 hours. Put the hose on the exhaust port, not the vacuum port of the shop-vac and blew out any latent moisture.

I then put the business end of the hose on the starboard (right) side muffler and duct taped it to form a seal.

Opened the hood and armed myself with a spray bottle of soapy water.

Turned on the shop-vac, and retreated to the engine compartment.

Instantly I could hear a whoooshing of pressurized air coming out. I sprayed around the exhaust manifold and lo-&-behold, a between the #1 & #2 plug...bubbles...lots and lots of bubbles.

So I'll be working on that this weekend.
    Attached Files
    Geoff In Carlsbad
    1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Great troubleshooting method.

Cracked manifold?

UGH!

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
      Experienced
      • Jul 4 2015

Manifold Condition

I ran out of daylight, so I'll get on that over the weekend. At first pass it looks like bad gasket. Might be that the surface was not trued when put on (it is not the original) and may need machining.

Anyway, that can detect a leak just about anywhere in the exhaust systems.
      Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It shouldn't have a gasket. They are meant to be metal to metal. Most times people put gaskets in rather than have the manifold machined. They usually wind up leaking eventually.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
          Experienced
          • Jul 4 2015

There looks like a metal gasket in there

I'll have to check again, but there looks like a metal gasket in between the manifold and the block.
          Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Geoff excellent sleuthing and great troubleshooting Thanks for the post.
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
              Experienced
              • Jul 4 2015

Leak Update

Ok, update....

Well, pushed up the motor, got a socket around the first bolt, and SNAP! Off with its head while my knuckles slammed into the plenum. Just great. So, I knew I was in trouble right there. I don't have the tools to drill out the old bolt and re-tap so I had to get it over to the shop and have my mechanic do that. So, I have to admit had to give him the work.

When we did get the manifold off, it was badly warped, and the metal gasket was just burnt out, creating a mess, right? Then I also noticed that one of the flanges for the bolt had cracks on each side, and was being held together by who knows what...tried machining it but it wasn't really worth it because of that crack. I know as soon as I put it all back together, then it was going to break off and I would be back to square 1. So what?

Well, that what was a drive out to Larry's T-Birds to pick up his last RH exhaust manifold, drive it back to the shop and re-install. That was the easy part, but upon start up, it ran like a dream (thanks to new carb & distributor etc), and sounded how it is supposed to sound....

~g
              Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Geoff: Love it when a plan comes together

it ran like a dream (thanks to new carb & distributor etc), and sounded how it is supposed to sound....
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍