X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bentmore60
    Apprentice
    • Nov 20 2017

352/390 intake manifolds

Im having a hard time finding a replacement manifold. It appears prior 1964 they had the oil filler. Why did this change ? And where can I get one with the oil filler.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

In 1965 Ford moved the oil fill to the valve covers. This was most likely done with the addition of the pcv system. I assume you are looking for an aluminum replacement. There is no aftermarket aluminum FE intake that has the fill tube. Ford back in the 60's made an aluminum intake that had the fill tube. They occasionally show up on Ebay but they are not cheap. Usually around $400.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Bentmore60
      Apprentice
      • Nov 20 2017

My car has a 1965 manifold, and I want to get it back to original. I found a cast iron 60 manifold.

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Bentmore60
        My car has a 1965 manifold, and I want to get it back to original. I found a cast iron 60 manifold.
        Well, if it's a four barrel cast, that'd be original. If you're willing and can find an Edelbrock M390 3x2 intake it has a fill tube, but it won't look original...

However, I think it will look really cool.

I'm just full of help this early in the morning..

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Ooops - looks like you've already found one - was going to suggest checking with Carl Heller ( partsetal ) here on the forum - he has lots of Squarebird parts reasonably priced.

Bet Carl could help with the road draft tube unless that came with the manifold you found.

I had to replace the engine in my car a few years back. The engine I found was a '64 with no oil filler tube on the manifold and included PCV. Thought about switching the intakes but glad I kept the later manifold with PCV. Eliminating that road draft tube was nice. Opted for some cheap-o chrome valve covers with an oil filler hole and PCV port ($40 on ebay) Put some 312 Tbird stickers on them to give it a personal touch. Still have the original engine - may rebuild and re-install one day.

Good luck on your project.

Eric

Comment

• Bentmore60
            Apprentice
            • Nov 20 2017

I have decided to keep the present 1965 intake manifold and PVC system , with oil fill at valve covers. I wanted to get the engine as close to exact , although finding parts appears to be very difficult .

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As mentioned before Carl Heller (partsetal) has tons of used Squarebird parts for sale. He ships all over the world. They are not that difficult to find although finding an intake locally to cut down on shipping may be a little harder.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Woobie
                Experienced
                • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by Bentmore60
                I have decided to keep the present 1965 intake manifold and PVC system , with oil fill at valve covers. I wanted to get the engine as close to exact , although finding parts appears to be very difficult .
                This place has a few

Sometimes there is no other choice but to modify. I've mentioned before the '60 we owned has/had a '59 block and rotating assembly with '60 heads and '60 intake.
                Austin

Comment

• Bentmore60
                  Apprentice
                  • Nov 20 2017

Woobie thanks for the information. I'm now finding out the autolite carb is a 1958 model. So maybe a 58, or 59 intake would work. Everyone mentions the road draft tube, Do you know if this is a problem ? does it smoke , or noise.

Comment

• Woobie
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 1 2016

Bentmore60,
                    The '60 that we had smoked through the road draft tube after the engine was warmed up. There was 50 years of sludge in the valley and on the underside of the intake manifold. The valve stem seals were non-exisistant, mostly clogging the oil drain-back holes in the cylinder heads as well as the oil pickup in the oil pan. And did not notice any noise from the road draft tube.

We should discuss here what you are trying to achieve. The 1958 autolite should fit on any squarebore intake manifold or open plenum intake manifold.

At this point, though, I could definitely say: Keep that 1958 Autolite, they are not common.
                    Austin

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎