X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy
    Experienced
    • Dec 21 2015

Randy's update

Got got wind of a parts car about an hour and a half up the mountain in Julian, it started raining but I still went because it has a great deal I got two bumpers and a door with glass in great shape for $100 for all of them, I had to take them off by my self, the gentleman Jim thats his name he did help me, hand me a wrench or two, got diabetes just like me so we had a lot to talk about, bad back, trifocals getting old not doing stuff and what not. Its was wet,cold, tires flat on one made difficult getting under, I got WD40, that door kick my butt, thank goodness he had more tools than I brought, that extension was much needed and magnet oh I needed that a time or two I could not keep it on the socket falling in the door, how much does that door weigh that's what I wanna know, I forgot my back brace, I wasn't thinking about anything but saving a boat load , Jim had the im sick of looking at it story... and to my surprise yesterday put on new battery cables to starter they where rotten and fried or both, the starter works the engine turns over, I'm a happy camper!!
    Attached Files
    "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
    Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Randy good score and it is starting to come together
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Randy
      Experienced
      • Dec 21 2015

what is this hole under the tar-like stuff on the bottom of the trunk? Like a drain or something. But it was covered with thin material. Looks like maybe it should have had a drain purposes?? Packed full of dirt. and the tar stuff had to chisel off ?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Randy
        Experienced
        • Dec 21 2015

I just noticed that my license plate is 63 that's weird.
        look at that face you gotta love it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Randy
          Experienced
          • Dec 21 2015

Had little time today got fuel pump out, why would rebuild kit cost as much as to get one outright ? compatible w/fuel blends,I learned about here on the Square thank you.
          and ? is there a tip about getting it back in seem as to be spring loaded,
          Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't trust a lot of the rebuild kits I see. You don't know how long they've been sitting around. Certainly Ethanol can wreak havoc with the diaphragm and gaskets if they aren't compatible. It's easier just to buy a new pump. It depends on where the cam eccentric is on how easy it is to install. If the eccentric is in the right place it's a snap. If not you may have to turn the crank slightly or press down on the pump to get the bolts started.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Randy
              Experienced
              • Dec 21 2015

Funny I just saw a post of yours talking about fuel pump.
              ..install I need to turn engine a bit, Check that last bolt was in a bind to the end. thank you.

Comment

• Randy
                Experienced
                • Dec 21 2015

Nice sunny day, got it up on blocks, rear bumper off, that was no small feat, made list for tools I need a bunch more! and my rear cowl if that what it called?is not so good,
                Attached Files

Comment

• Randy
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 21 2015

...........................My Garage!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Randy
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 21 2015

parts

I found a very in good condition much needed upper back outside panel assembly.
                    its was (and still is) up the mountain hour 1/2, 4200 feet. with the help of Jim we two old farts in back brace's. had to move three non working vehicles one BIG truck, it took most of the day and we where pooped, cold, get dark, so we wrapped it back up,
                    so it sits till I get back up there. I have all the Parts eng., trans., doors everything except windshield, dash with gauges it was nice to. Now I think I'll stop looking and get to doing. you know whats funny is the parts car body is in better shape, dmv something and cost of it. and sick of looking at it. so he started parting it out. lucky me... lets see I'll need a welder, what ever it is they cut out body parts with, wait maybe YouTube class on welding. ha! just found out tomorrow is the day going back up .!
                    I get the hood,and trunk to O got to remember the air filter and what goes around lights. long day going up ride with Jim down then back up help him move some stuff and park trailer get back home clean up and pick San Diego which is little over hour away thats A day.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Wudro
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 25 2015

I wish I knew what you were talking about because it sure sounds like you're having a good time doin it!
                      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• bird 60
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Mar 18 2009

Sooooo, looks like you're marrying a '59 with your '60. What's it going to be a '59 + 1/2. Best of luck with the resto.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• Randy
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 21 2015

Hi Chris
                          I didn't plan it that way. first bird is in need of a few parts and the list kept getting longer. and $$ I don't have, I first went up there to get passenger window! So now I have a 60 with papers,
                          and license tags, 59 with all the parts I deed and a lot more! All in two months,
                          Hi Wudro
                          I wish I knew Too?

Comment

• Wudro
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 25 2015

I guess you're like me, know just enough to get myself in trouble! Good luck, keep up the progress and keep us posted.
                            SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Randy
                              Experienced
                              • Dec 21 2015

Parts Bird

Got down the mountain and through the woods, went fairly good. Jim's wife said he don't drive very well any more, and that I should drive, I'm a believer!!. I drove back....
                              On the way down, Jim had to lock em' up once and hard, the bird was sliding over the yellow line as we're trying to make a right at a tee intersection that we should have just went past and turned around! the poor guy at that stop sign was sure looking like he was a goner!! Jim is almost flying past the turn, he slams on the brakes- I'm pressed hard against the shoulder harness desperately trying to see what was happening with the bird!! I turn my head to look in the mirror to see where is the guy who's been riding our butt all the way down the hill. That guy was on the brake and thinking of going around us towards the left! its a good thing he didn't- because that lane was full with a truck that didn't have time to brake poor truck had two wheels in the dirt went he went by, car in rear was crap'in
                              his pants, I don't know how we made it!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎