X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djberson
    Experienced
    • Jun 10 2012

Rebuilding a generator

I bought an old generator at a junkyard yesterday to play with. I figured I could either have it rebuilt or rebuild it for fun myself to have a spare. I am trying to decide if I want to send it out or do it myself. Mac's apparently no longer sells the rebuild kit. Where else can one be purchased? I have never rebuilt one before but it seems straightforward. Is there any advice or potential pitfalls I should know about? What about the windings? They are generally pretty solid and failproof, correct? The rebuild kits do not address that part of the unit from what I understand. If it is not a procedure for an amateur (although I am handy), where is a good place to send it?
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Dennis Carpenter used to have the major rebuild kits, but now I see he only offers the kit with bearings, brushes and armature. The major kit had all that plus the field coils. If the major kit is what you need, send me a PM.
    Carl

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

You can learn an awful lot from rebuilding an old generator but you should also use a good voltage regulator with it. The brand doesn't matter, as long as it outputs 12 volts and 35 amps.

The generator is really in two electrical sections. Both sections, field coils, and armature, have nothing to do with each other except for the fact that they both share magnatism to produce power. Field coils are easy to check for grounds or shorts. Armatures usually show signs of wear on the commutator segments before they go. If brushes are stuck or don't slide smoothly in their holders, or if they are short, tee-bird.com sells a set for $4.50.

Troubleshoot the mechanical and electrical sections separately. Then make sure the bearings are still good, and it produces power under a load (like a headlight bulb).

Just know that the old generators only put out 35 amps when run at top speed. That ain't much. But I agree that they are fun to play with. If you couple one with an old washing machine motor, a generator/voltage regulator can charge any 12 volt car battery. It might take a while because most electric motors only rotate at 1,800 rpm.

I encourage you to take lots of pictures as you take it apart. Mark where parts go together at the seams. If you use solvent to wash the insides, let it air dry using compressed air, or use a small fan for a few hours.

If you have questions, ask. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rebuilding a generator

Check out the Technical Resource Library also for information on how generators/alternators work and how to refurbish them... Check the Final Trim section, Generators & Alternators. As always, the link to the TRL is part of my signature element, below it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 63-4drpost
          Experienced
          • Feb 14 2009

washing machine motor

I know now why i love this forum! Guys that actually are smart enough to build a battery charger out of a generator and washing machine motor!! Finally, someone with a REAL "mechanic's" brain like me.
          Most of these forums about cars are just guys with way too much money and go buy stuff instead of building it themselves. I do alot of that, making it myself, and when I see another car or tractor with home-made mods, I love to see how someone else thinks.Thankyou all.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Henry, you just identified yourself as a true restorer. In my book, that takes a very special talent most folks don't have.

Thousands of parts for these classic cars haven't been available for decades. That's where a true restorer shines. We're able to turn common items we have into workable things we need. It's all about your imagination, fabrication skills and the tools to make them happen. I can never have too many 'restorer' friends. Thanks for being one. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's amazing what you can do when parts aren't available or are too expensive. Not having the $200+ for the electric wiper motor conversion kit I decided there must be a cheaper alternative. I picked up a Buick Roadmaster rear wiper motor for $10 and with a few minor modifications and a '63 Galaxie wiper switch that I had laying around I now have electric wipers. They're not the quickest but they work every time. Not that I drive in the rain very often.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Necessity is the mother of invention, eh John? Hey, do you have any pictures? This sounds like a great retrofit. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

After I completed it I kicked myself for not taking pictures. I figured it wouldn't work like most stuff I try to jury rig.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

It's amazing what you can do when parts aren't available or are too expensive.
                    Somewhere I have saved plans to build a TIG welder using an alternator - If anyone is interested I will try and locate them and post either the info or link.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

My Auto Electric Shop uses a 6 volt battery with a 3/16" carbon welding stick to unsolder commutator brush connections in Starter Motor field connections. It works VERY well and it's fast. Six volts hardly makes a spark and the carbon is just the right amount of resistance to concentrate heat at the end of the stick. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎