X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

For that extra bit of go...

anyone care to give one of these a try...?

I'm surprised it didn't catch on

Jon
    Attached Files
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201
  • pbf777
    Experienced
    • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by mh434
    Yeah sure!

The manufacturing facility for these units was only two miles or less from our shop, on Kent St. I believe, in Orlando, Florida.

There were several different sizes (H.P.) and configurations available during the production. I own one of the 1000 H.P. (+/-) units; not of the "drag-axle" configuration (your illustration) but rather of the remote mount unit type. I purchased it at the Don Garlits Car Show & Swap Meet sometime in the early 1980's. Shortly afterwards Don Garlits called me wanting to purchase it for his museum, but I informed him that I had plans for it. Well, I just haven't gotten to that project yet!

I was able to run-down Mr Middlebrooks, in Tampa(?), via the telephone shortly after I acquired my unit; unfortunately he proved to be very cagey concerning any discussion pertaining to the Turbonique; I suppose understandable considering the history.

Do Google this subject (Turbonique), as I think one would find it interesting.

Questions?

Scott.
    Last edited by pbf777; January 16, 2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• mh434
      Comfortably numb
      • Jan 10 2017

Questions.....only one really......

......how insane do you have to be...?
      Jon
      Deepest Hertfordshire
      1960 Hardtop T'bird
      1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• pbf777
        Experienced
        • Jan 9 2016

Well......? Apparently, there were some loss of life incidents attributed to the use of the product.

If you Google it, look at the go-cart installations! Now that's relatively high on the "NUTS" list ; particularly if you consider the go-cart engineering and safety equipment of the time period. And these I believe were the most popular by volume units sold!

Also, be aware that there was no throttling; you "flip-the-switch" (electric solenoid valve to a pressurized bottle of fuel) and hang-on!

Go to: U-Tube "Jack McClure in his turbonique rocket cart". That Chevy (?) never had a chance!

Scott.
        Last edited by pbf777; January 16, 2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• mh434
          Comfortably numb
          • Jan 10 2017

That’s insane..
          Jon
          Deepest Hertfordshire
          1960 Hardtop T'bird
          1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• Woobie
            Experienced
            • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by mh434

I'm surprised it didn't catch on

Jon

200 mph on bias ply tires sounds suicidal.
            Austin

Comment

• pbf777
              Experienced
              • Jan 9 2016

Look at the u-tube video, look at the small tire diameter on the go-cart, and consider the vehicle speed (watch that thing go!); what speed are those tires rated for?

Scott.
              Last edited by YellowRose; January 16, 2018, 05:54 PM. Reason: Modified Text

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

Like all good inventions that would make a difference in how much petroleum is consumed world wide - it was squashed by "big business" (aka - I see a big payout to the inventor to discontinue research and sell the patent).

Guess this didn't help much either though.

" if the operator left off the throttle and then reapplied it, the device would essentially become a bomb"

Think about how efficient it would be on a bullet train.....only problem would be stopping.

JMHO

Comment

• pbf777
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 9 2016

I'm not sure I would use the word "efficient" with this devise, but, with a large enough unit, one would surely have a "run-a-way" train on their hands no doubt!

As far as any true commercial success? Well, if one looks up N Propyl Nitrate (rocket fuel) and realizes such terms as: Flammable, Explosive, Shock Sensitive (thermal and mechanical), aka. REACTS VIOLENTLY when exposed to heat, pressure, shock or concussion, etc. or when mixed with reducing agents or oxidant materials; and realizes that water may not prove effective in extinguishing (this stuff burns under water & isn't readily smothered as it carries it's own oxidizer); and then, we turn our attention to the health hazard warnings associated with exposure to humans..........

Well....... I don't think we would find this material available on any street corner at the "Self-Serve" pump, not with all of the governmental agencies adorned with the responsibility of protecting us - the people, and the environment.

And, I'm not sure I would want a tank full in my trunk or under my seat, propelling down the road at high velocity either!

Again, consider the hazards at hand in the go-cart video; was that brave, or ................?

Scott.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎