X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

352 air filter element

I got a new air filter element via Rockauto, but when i put it in the housing, it will stick out a bit.
    Doesn´t seem to be normal like this. Anyone who experienced the same?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

I use the WIX 42051 or Fram CA154 which you can still buy here in the US. I was always surprised that the filters were not discontinued. I guess those filters fit many cleaners even though the air cleaner we have on or cars is specific to the engine and car.

They should not stick out. The wider edge of the filter should be on the top and the metal cover part of the filter rests on the top of the rubber part of the filter. So guess you could say it does stick out just the width of the top rubber part of the filter (about 1/8 inch).

Here's a pic of the 352 cleaner on the left and 430 cleaner on the right both with a filter installed. You can see the black edge of the filter.

Eric

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Thanks for the answer Eric. I think I have a WIX filter as well, but will have to check the P/N when I return home. The filter sticks out about a quarter inch more or less, doesn´t look ok.
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I had the same problem with mine and one day it dawned on me that I could maybe tweak the opening of the main air cleaner housing up a bit. It was actually quite easy and I was able to get the air cleaner housing to fit the new filter. I think over time that tightening the hold down screw for the center section actually lowers the body of the main housing. Just go gently with it if you try to bend it up a bit.
        Nyles

Originally posted by Frango100
        I got a new air filter element via Rockauto, but when i put it in the housing, it will stick out a bit.
        Doesn´t seem to be normal like this. Anyone who experienced the same?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Originally posted by Tbird1044
          I had the same problem with mine and one day it dawned on me that I could maybe tweak the opening of the main air cleaner housing up a bit. It was actually quite easy and I was able to get the air cleaner housing to fit the new filter. I think over time that tightening the hold down screw for the center section actually lowers the body of the main housing. Just go gently with it if you try to bend it up a bit.
          Nyles
          That sounds quite well possible Nyles. Some locally bought filter was used before, which is lower, so it can be that they just tightened the nut until the filter was fitting well, deforming the housing permanently. I will give it a try and bend it all up again. Thanks for that idea.
          By the way, is yellow the original color for the valve covers? Mine are black.
          sigpicFrank

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Yes. The original valve covers were yellow on the 1960 with the 352 engine. Crazy colors, but that is what the factory did.
            Nyles

Originally posted by Frango100
            That sounds quite well possible Nyles. Some locally bought filter was used before, which is lower, so it can be that they just tightened the nut until the filter was fitting well, deforming the housing permanently. I will give it a try and bend it all up again. Thanks for that idea.
            By the way, is yellow the original color for the valve covers? Mine are black.

Comment

• JohnG
              John
              • Jul 28 2003

According to Wonder's Thunderbird Restoration Guide (a really detailed and informative book):

1958 valve covers: black
              1959 valve covers: Light Blue
              1960 valve covers: Yellow as already noted.
              1958 Hardtop
              #8452 TBird Registry
              http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
              history:
              http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I believe the colour on the 60 VALVE COVERS is called DITZLER YELLOW. Hope that is spelt right?
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                  I believe the colour on the 60 VALVE COVERS is called DITZLER YELLOW. Hope that is spelt right?
                  Ditzler is a paint manufacturer. I believe the real name was Goldenrod Yellow.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎