X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Strange transmission behaviour

When i drive away, the transmission starts normal in first, upshifts nicely to 2nd, but then it will downshift again to 1st, whereafter it upshifts again and then acts normally. The kickdown will not be activated. Is there any way of adjusting this?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Normally I would say adjust your linkage per the shop manual however with the non factory linkage that you have you will probably have to adjust the kickdown using the trial and error method.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sidewalkman
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 14 2015

The kickdown at the best of times is a tough adjustment, because there are different factors. I found mine when done as per the manual didn't work but was really close. Trial and error and a lot of time making a really minor adjustment (1/4 turns max) got me there, the final was done by a transmission shop but he said it was really close.

Yours with that hand made linkage will be even tougher. But too much one way and the transmission slips, to much the other and it shifts like a cannon, the trick is to find a happy medium.
      Scott
      South Delta, BC, Canada
      1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
      Red Leather Interior!
      www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
      Thunderbird Registry #61266
      http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

I did change the adjustment a bit and the shifting back to first happens later or sometimes not at all, so it seems that i´m on the right track. But it still seems that there is some slipping inside the transmission in first gear. The transmission makes a different noise at least, which should not be normal. Strange thing is that i didn´t observe it during the test drive.
        Trying to get a bit more into the transmission workings itself. Is there some good writing available on the net?
        The throttle linkage input to the transmission, is that only for kick down, or does it also give an input to the transmission control system regarding the accelerator pedal position?
        sigpicFrank

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Frank, just out of curiosity, what position are you putting the gear shift into when you start to drive away? D1 or D2? If you are starting out in D2, you are starting in 2nd gear and then it goes to 3rd gear. When you start the car and go to D1, you should be going through 1st, then 2nd and then 3rd gear. Always drive the car in D1, not D2. I am wondering if this might be having an effect on what you are experiencing.
          Last edited by YellowRose; July 8, 2016, 09:01 AM. Reason: Corrected D1 & D2

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
            Frank, just out of curiosity, what position are you putting the gear shift into when you start to drive away? D1 or D2? If you are starting out in D1, you are starting in 2nd gear and then it goes to 3rd gear. When you start the car and go to D2, you should be going through 1st, then 2nd and then 3rd gear. Always drive the car in D2, not D1. I am wondering if this might be having an effect on what you are experiencing.
            Ray,

You have that backward. D1 starts in first gear, D2 starts in second gear. Pretty easy to remember.

John

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

Yeh, i first was wondering what the D1 and D2 positions where doing, but after reading that D1 means 1st, 2nd and 3rd, i´m always using that position. I will first check the rigging of the shift lever with the position of the lever on the transmission.
              But is the throttle input to the transmission only used for kick-down, or does it also give a throttle position input for other shifting purposes?
              sigpicFrank

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks, John, I guess I was half asleep when I posted that! I corrected it in my post so that it won't confuse others in the future...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100

But is the throttle input to the transmission only used for kick-down, or does it also give a throttle position input for other shifting purposes?
                  When you floor the accelerator pedal the transmission will shift from third to second or passing gear as we used to call it so the kickdown needs to be adjusted correctly.

John

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

I think what you need to do is to make sure your vacuum modulator is installed correctly, then disconnect the kick-down linkage and test drive it that way. Transmission needs to warm up before you have a legitimate test. This will make sure your column linkage is set up and adjusted properly.

Once you get the transmission shifting properly when warm, then reconnect the kick-down and adjust that.

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

His COM doesn't have a vacuum modulator unless he has a later transmission. 1961 was the first year for those.

John

Comment

• Frango100
                        Experienced
                        • May 2 2016

Just had a look under the bird this morning to check the transmission data plate. Wrote the number down, but left the paper at home, but when i´m not wrong the number was something like: PBL 7004.
                        Checked the rigging of the shift mechanism and it was quite a bit off. Adjusted that and will see if that makes any difference. Had no time to take it for a drive today, but when i started the engine to put the bird a bit further into the garage, the engine started to make a loud ticking noise, which it never had done before. Could be a lifter tick, but had no time to get the stethoscope to pinpoint the source. Will do that tomorrow and report back.
                        sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎