No announcement yet.

'60 T-Bird on E-Bay

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

'60 T-Bird on E-Bay

Anybody seen this squarebird on e-bay? It looks phenomenal. Any ideas what something like that might bring (besides heartache)? I'm just trying to gauge the range of valuations for convertibles. This one looks sweet...

Thanks,

• byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: '60 T-Bird on E-Bay

Eeeh,

It's been on there for months. Reserve must be high. I think they want too much. It's not really original. That color. Pretty sure that's not original. The interior is not really correct. Look at the door panels. A 400 HP 352??? That's a stretch. I could be wrong.
    I'd give em 16 TOPS.

John

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

That color was actually available in 1960. It was called Royal Burgundy. The leather interior is correct. The door panels are a solid color on leather optioned cars.

I never heard of a power mirror on a 1960.

The engine compartment fenders are painted black on this car. It should be body color. This is a hard thing to fix. The air cleaner is from a 1961-63 Thunderbird. The valve covers hould be yellow not gold. The air-conditioner compressor is not the original, though the rest of the A/C system looks correct. The wheels are definitely not original. I have see prestine 1960 Thunderbird convertibles going for $46,000. This is not one of them.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• pabob1960
        Apprentice
        • Apr 11 2004

The correct door panel on a 60 with leather can be seen on page 61 of William Wonder's "Thunderbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966"

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

You are right. It does have the vertical pleats that it should. I did not see the closeup picture.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Look REALLY close at the door panels. There's no pleats in em.
            They're just plain re-covered black.

That's really an orig color? Or close?

Comment

Thanks to all. You guys are great resources...

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I left out the word "not." I meant to say, "It does not have the vertical pleats that it should." My vision is still pretty good, its my typing skills that need help. The door also does not have the lower door detail embossing that it should. You are right, it is just plain vinyl. It is more suited for a low-price car than a luxury car.

I have seen this color, Royal Burgundy. It is a classy color.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

At a glance..I'm pretty sure
                  Valve covers should read "Thunderbird"
                  Incorrect air filter
                  Incorrect valve cover and air filter color

Convertible top "switch" hagging from interior. I have spent months looking for one, if you can find one they are about $250. They have the wrong switch hanging frm the dash.

Others are right, the car has been on ebay since about May. I would be very cautious of buying any restored car without some pictures documenting its different stages. If you look close you may notice that the paint chips on the car reveal a white color. (Look at the lower door on the above picture and the pic't that shows the VIN number.) This could be a light primer or wax build up?????

They also don't show any trunk or mechanical roof pic's. These parts are expensive. Especially since it's a 60.

I don't consider myself an expert and some of this info may seem redundant however, others have helped me on this fourm and it's great to help someone else out.

Good Luck

Every once and a while a white/tan one or two owner 59 shows up on ebay. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!!

Shorebird

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Yup, a 60 Conv is a mixed bag. The conv top mechanism is one complicated deal. If you're considering one of these, make sure the entire system is there and in tact. Even if it doesn't work. Knock on wood, we've been lucky. Mine has only not worked when the little motor wore out or once when my dad parked it on a slope facing forwards and it got out of sync. The body shop it's at right now might have goofed it up. I told him very specifically DO NOT touch or remove anything that has to do with that mechanism. They removed the tray to paint it. I'm hoping that didn't hurt anything.

If you have doubts, a 59 conv might be a better deal. The system is simple. Truthfully I like the 59 best of the Sq/Birds. The body is cleaner. That grille is the grandaddy of all custom grilles.
                    I have this 60 because my dad bought it brand new. It's a cool old ride. He put a hi/perf 390 in it when I was about 12 yrs old. It's always been a sleeper. Too fast for that susp & steering and the drum brakes he had. But he put 270K total miles on that car. 2 engines, umpteen transmissions (cases). 3 rg & pinions and on and on.

So happy hunting. I think there's a 59 conv in Hemmings now. Full documentation too. Get all the details !!! Plan on spending 20K (At least) for a nice one. A "J" Motor would be nice, but I'll bet they only get about 8 mpg.

JB

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

The valve covers did not say "Thunderbird" until 1961. From 1958-1960, The 352 valve covers said "FORD" though some early 1958's were blank. The 430 valve covers were blank.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Yup the "Thunderbird" valve covers were definently 390 issue.
                        Plus, they were used on some of the early Hi-Perf 406's in the Galaxie's as the Thunderbird V8, even though they never put one in a TBird.

JB

Comment

Great one owner 59 on ebay today...Check it ouy

White with light blue interior

Comment

HEEEEEEEE'S BACK. Same car is relisted one more time. It may need another restoration before it is sold. Once had a Buy It Now price of $25,000. Must be listed by restoration shop that has a ton of money in parts and labor and is trying to make a profit. Personally, I've never made a profit and am lucky to get 75% of my expenses back, not counting my labor and skinned knuckles.

Comment

Check out this listing for the same car as on ebay. Asking price is $3,500,000. No kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎