X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SandyBoy
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

Saw a Square Bird Today

There was a small (50 cars) car show near me today. I did not go as I had work to do around the house. The show broke up around 5PM. I happened to be out at that time, and about 2 miles from the show. I did see coming towards me several cars on their way home. One of them was a 1960 T-Bird Coupe in white. I got a good look at it. It looked show-quality all the way. Here's what saw.
    Driver: Older male at least 70 years
    White 'Bird, looked like black & white 2-tone interior.
    Options I saw"
    Exterior funny mirrors with combination spotlight & mirror
    Tri color (red, white Blue(?) ) wheel covers
    Skirts (?)
    Fender emblems - I think
    Had the 1960 grille with the +++++++++ on it.

That's all I could see - It was #1 car at a traffic lite, coming toward me, and me the #1 car going oppisite direction, or toward him.
    Had an antenna on the deck lid, too.
    The mirror/spotlight deal perked my interest the most.

(Seems to me these 'Bird Coupes were all white or black.......)

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Saw a Square Bird Today

You are right. Most of the 1958-60 Thunderbirds were either White or Black. White was by far the most popular color. In 1981 when I was shopping for a 1959 Thunderbird, I looked at nine cars, all of them were white!

Back then, you did not need to buy a car in a unusual color to stand out. All the cars were different shapes so you could easily find your car in the parking lot. the 1958-60 Thunderbird was truly "unique in all the world."

The tri-colored center section of the wheels was a rare option when new. It was the Sun Ray applique for the Sun Ray wheel cover. They are common now since they reproduce them. Spotlights were also an uncommon option. I added the spotlight to my 1959. My 1960 Golde Top had it since new. I need to find the build sheet to see if it was factory installed or dealer installed.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢