No announcement yet.

Insurance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

I have decided to get the 1960 hardtop. Now I need to find the best insurance carrier here in the states. Anybody have a good suggestion? I would prefer to get full coverage because I'm driving it everyday.

I'm super pumped! I'll have her either Saturday or Monday depending on when the seatbelts come in...
    CG:7
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Insurance

Congratulations on your purchase.

The best type of insurance for a car over 25 years old is antique car insurance supplied by Hagarty http://www.hagerty.com/ or Grundy http://www.grundy.com/ . If you have another car that you use regularly, you may qualify for this insurance even if you use your Squarebird for occasional use for other than for car shows. They can insure your car at reasonable cost for fire, theft, collision and liability.

If you use the Squarebird as a daily driver you will be disqualified for antique insurance.

Regular auto insurance companies will insure your car, but they do discriminate against you in many ways. First, you are considered a high risk driver if your car is over 25 years old. Until 4 years ago, I rarely drove a car that was less than 25 years old. Even though I had a clean record for more than ten years with no tickets, claims or accidents, no insurance company would voluntarily insure my car - a 1967 Buick. I would be put into the New York State high-risk pool. Every three years I would be dumped by the insurance company as a bad risk, and be put back into the pool. Ironically, with my excellent driving record, I would get a good driver discount by whatever company was assigned to me.

Another bad thing is that regular auto insurance companies will refuse to give you fire/theft/collision insurance at any price after your car is over 25 years old. I found this out when my 1959 Thunderbird, which I bought when it was 22 years old, turned 25 years old. Even though I paid the fire/theft/collision insurance for years they dropped coverage when the car turned 25.

If regular insurance companies treated import car owners the way they treat old American car owners, you would see very few imported cars on American roads. What is the chance that someone in the US would be willing to buy a $50,000 Lexus if he could not get fire/theft/collision insurance and always be put in the high risk pool?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• SandyBoy
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

I have Grundy, and am exceptionly happy with it! They are a great company! I'd highly suggest you try them.

Alexander, I am surprised that you refer to "Lexus" ~ so unlike
      you!

If I was a "hacker" I'd hack my way in to your post, and change it to read $50,000 Cadillac !! (or Lincoln) ! But, i'm NOT a hacker

x( x(

Comment

Well, unfortunately I will be using it as a daily driver. I have another car that I will drive on bad weather days, but for the most part I'll be driving it everyday...I'm going to go sign for it today. Hopefully I can find somebody before this weekend...

Thanks for the suggestions.
        CG

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

We are here to help. Ask as many questions as you like. Good luck with your car.

These Squarebirds are so nice, I wish I could use them as a daily driver. If they sold them new, I would buy one without hesitation.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢