• Randy
    Experienced
    • Dec 21 2015

Squardbird unibody Help

Do the fenders bolt on or weld ?
    Would you have to cut it out?
    Tell me more about this Unibody.
    pleases thank you.
    "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
    Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Randy:
    Our Birds are pretty much spot welded together on all of the body parts. There are a few removable panels around the front and rear windows that are bolted, along with the doors, trunk and hood also being bolted. The TBird shops sell patch panels for the fenders and doors that can be welded in. I have pics of my car where the front and rear 1/4 panels were replaced. Email me if you want me to send them.
    Nyles

Comment

• Randy
      Experienced
      • Dec 21 2015

Thank you Nyles !
      "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
      Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

The front fenders are bolted on. The rear fenders are part of the body.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Yadkin
          The front fenders are bolted on. The rear fenders are part of the body.
          That's what I said but I don't have a Squarebird so I don't really know, and that's what started my discussion with Randy.

Steve, do you really know or are you comparing with the '66 'bird?

I know both fenders are welded to the front fascia panel (as one piece) on a Square. I told Randy that the front fenders should both come off as a 'front end clip'. I might be all wrong but that's how most Ford cars are assembled... Then it dawned on me...

The Squarebird body shop was not at Ford, it was at Budd. Ford Wixom started T-bird production in the Paint Shop. In fact, Squarebird engineering was done at Budd too. Ford's Body Engineering simply signed off on all the drawings and approved them for 'build'. That's the reason why the '58 SB has that 'unique' rear coil suspension.

Bottom line: The parts manuals show all the individual stampings but... It may well be that Budd welded the fenders in place just like the quarter panels. (But I don't know for sure.) - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I've had my '60 since 1985 and it's mostly sat. Shortly after purchasing it, I realized it had been in a front end wreck. The front bumper had a faded '1958' crayon mark (I'm assuming from a junkyard), and I noticed this weld seam on the inner fender apron by the evaporator. The other pic shows a slight split in the metal below the bottom front corner of the door, like the weld or body putty split. I'm no bodyman, but I don't see how they could have unbolted this fender and bolted a new one on. There's no seam below the door. Or fender bolts that I could find. Shoot, gotta resize the pics
            Attached Files
            Last edited by YellowRose; December 3, 2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by SimonZ
              ...I don't see how they could have unbolted this fender and bolted a new one on. There's no seam below the door. Or fender bolts that I could find...
              That's what Randy said, 'No fender adjustment bolts'.

Every fender I've ever seen had adjustment bolts (and shims) at the top and bottom. SBs may be different so I'm here to learn. How does the fender apron attach to the fender? Bolts, or no bolts? In your RH picture, I can't tell which way is the front of the car although you say the crack is in the front. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• partsetal
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 4 2005

Spotwelds hold the fender on. Many at the back that are visible when the door is opened, and many along the upper flange to attach it to the apron. Welds at the front where it meets the header panel and welds at the rocker panel where the crack is shown in a previous photo. Depending on your spot weld removal tool, you can spend several hours with them. There are no adjustments after the fender is installed. Carl

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                  That's what I said but I don't have a Squarebird so I don't really know, and that's what started my discussion with Randy.

Steve, do you really know or are you comparing with the '66 'bird?

I know both fenders are welded to the front fascia panel (as one piece) on a Square. I told Randy that the front fenders should both come off as a 'front end clip'. I might be all wrong but that's how most Ford cars are assembled... Then it dawned on me...

The Squarebird body shop was not at Ford, it was at Budd. Ford Wixom started T-bird production in the Paint Shop. In fact, Squarebird engineering was done at Budd too. Ford's Body Engineering simply signed off on all the drawings and approved them for 'build'. That's the reason why the '58 SB has that 'unique' rear coil suspension.

Bottom line: The parts manuals show all the individual stampings but... It may well be that Budd welded the fenders in place just like the quarter panels. (But I don't know for sure.) - Dave
                  You're probably right then. I thought 58-64 were basically the same chassis.

Comment

• toddgilroy
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 30 2014

Here are a few pics of the front fender spot welds.
                    Attached Files
                    Todd Gilroy
                    1960 Tbird Convertible
                    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Those spot welds are everywhere ;-). Makes good sense to get a good cutter to remove them.

Nyles

Comment

• toddgilroy
                        Experienced
                        • Aug 30 2014

I have tried quite a few types and after seeing how clean ~keith's spot weld holes always seemed to look, I asked him what he used and he recommended Blair Premium Spotweld Cutters.

They are not inexpensive, but with lubrication they seem to cut faster and last longer than anything else I have tried.
                        Todd Gilroy
                        1960 Tbird Convertible
                        Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                          That's what Randy said, 'No fender adjustment bolts'.

Every fender I've ever seen had adjustment bolts (and shims) at the top and bottom. SBs may be different so I'm here to learn. How does the fender apron attach to the fender? Bolts, or no bolts? In your RH picture, I can't tell which way is the front of the car although you say the crack is in the front. - Dave
                          Dave, no bolts, and you're correct, that crack is below the front side of the door. The passenger side is seamless there, like the squarebird was designed after an AMT model car kit with opening doors. I'm thinking my repair was done sometime in the 60's or 70's, looks pretty professional save for the weld seam. I'm guessing the front of the fender apron was damaged causing the need for the weld there.

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

Well, I learned something here. That is a completely different chassis then my 64, at least in the areas shown in those pictures. It's almost like you can mount the engine in the trunk and spin the interior around 180 degrees.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Thank you everyone, for clarifying exactly what Randy said (and I didn't believe but now I do).

After seeing the proof, I still say that this is not an assembly scheme that Ford used on all the other cars, before or since. There are many differences that were dropped when the T-bird body was finally assembled in Wixom like the rear coil spring setup that only lasted for the '58 model year and the front dual shock absorber, in preparation for air suspension. Another anomaly I never understood was, using two brake hoses on each '58 front brake. Nobody does that.

Body repair must have been extremely expensive in the aftermarket for this car. Most collisions involve front end body parts but these are all welded together.

I know how 'stationary' body parts are assembled, clamped and welded, usually in table-fixtures. I'd like to see the fixtures Budd used. See the irregularly spaced the spot welds on the door-to-pillar hem line? It was spot welded by hand, not in an automatic spot welding fixture. Those spot weld guns had to have deep and long throats using double-piston retract cylinders, huge transformers and heavy counterbalances. This was bull work in the summer time heat. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎