• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Infinite Monkeys
    Apprentice
    • Aug 24 2017

My latest project

Hello All,
    Just got a '60 Thunderbird, it's been sitting for 20+ years. I got it running and driving. I'm now sorting though the issues.
    Right now I'm trying to change out the shifter arm. I have the shifter tube off, but I can't remove the arm because the steering shaft goes through it. Looks like I need to pull the steering shaft, but can't seem to figure out how.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hello and shifter arm question

iftikhar, call me or shoot me your phone number in a Private Message... I can help you...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
      Apprentice
      • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by YellowRose
      iftikhar, call me or shoot me your phone number in a Private Message... I can help you...
      Wow, it's OK to call you? I see your number in your post.

I haven't figured out how to send private messages yet. I'll be working on the car tomorrow. What will be a good time to call?

Thank you!!!!

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hello and shifter arm question

Right NOW! I am a night owl and am up. 210-674-5781. BTW, I DID receive your Thank You PM, so it worked... Call me!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
          Apprentice
          • Aug 24 2017

My latest project

it's a 1960 Thunderbird with a 390 and COM. I picked it up about 2 months ago from a guy in Santa Fe, NM. He's had it since 1980. He had the engine and trany rebuilt in '90, drove it for about 9k miles and then parked it. So it sat since, (outside) till I just got it.
          I've put a 100% new braking system in it, including hard and soft lines, pads, wheel cylinders, dual piston master cylinder and dual diaphragm booster.
          New electronic ignition and the usual tune up, including a new carb.
          I've also put in a new hard line from the tank to fuel pump. Fuel pump is also new.
          I've driven it about 50 miles so far and it runs great. I've done several full throttle pulls and the engine and trany were perfect.

There are lot of issues still remaining and I'll be working on those in the time to come.
          Just had a great talk with Ray, he pointed me the right direction to get things done.
          Also, I do all my own work.

Well, I tried to add some pictures, but looks like I can't just attach them. Do I need to have photobucket account to post pics here?

Thanks.

Comment

• OX1
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 10 2016

Some pics that may or may not help..........

You can't pull steering shaft, it is part of steering box.
            You can pull entire tube and have everything off with steering
            shaft still sitting there (how I rebuilt mine)
            59-430-HT

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
              Apprentice
              • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by OX1
              Some pics that may or may not help..........

You can't pull steering shaft, it is part of steering box.
              You can pull entire tube and have everything off with steering
              shaft still sitting there (how I rebuilt mine)
              That makes sense.

Thank you!

Comment

• OX1
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 10 2016

Just to let you know, the two pictures with the arrows are the
                points that created the most play in the whole shifter "linkage" setup for me.
                The detent plate has it's purpose, but even a new one probably won't cure the play in shift linkage.

I even bought a new lower shift arm, but I had to drop beads of weld
                and file it down to meet raised boss on shift tube.

I should have done that on the upper end of shift tube,
                welding on the edges of boss on the tube, so it fit perfect with shift collar.

I did not, but I think you can buy a new shift tube if you wanted.
                Possibly, if you buy collar, tube, and lower arm, they
                will all be to spec and not introduce play.

I think it is a lot cheaper and easier to drop small beads
                of weld on lower shift arm and upper tube. Then file
                down until they fit is perfect with old corresponding parts.
                59-430-HT

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
                  Apprentice
                  • Aug 24 2017

Just got done putting it together and test start and shift. I have the back tires raised to prevent an accidental moving. It's much better than before, not perfect, but much better. Previous owner had put in a new detent plate, but my shifter handle and collar are also really worn. I may get to that over winter. Right now it's better than before and shifts into Park more securely, which was one of my biggest concerns.

Thanks all.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 31 2007

Did you pull the VC and check the umbrella seals? My 58 had a similar history and I did the same thing you have with yours, took a few weeks till a chunk of old umbrella seal worked it's way down into the pan and the oil pump. Seized the oil pump and broke the shaft going down the freeway.

Sounded like it killed at least one bearing by the time I got her pulled off the freeway. So I now keep an eye on those lil guys after putting another motor in the 58...

Cheers
                    RustyNCA

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                      Did you pull the VC and check the umbrella seals? My 58 had a similar history and I did the same thing you have with yours, took a few weeks till a chunk of old umbrella seal worked it's way down into the pan and the oil pump. Seized the oil pump and broke the shaft going down the freeway.

Sounded like it killed at least one bearing by the time I got her pulled off the freeway. So I now keep an eye on those lil guys after putting another motor in the 58...

Cheers
                      RustyNCA
                      I pulled the covers, but only to make sure all the rockers were moving freely before first start.
                      I didn't check any seals. Looks like I better do that.
                      Thanks.

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
                        Apprentice
                        • Aug 24 2017

Well the shifter arm is much better, but now that I'm messing around with the trany linkage, I noticed the the trany doesn't want to "click" into Park. The trany shifter linkage drops down to reverse on it's own easily when not connected to the steering column shifter arm.

Any remedy for this?

Thanks again.

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There really isn't any remedy for it. It relies on the shift lever and detent plate to hold it firmly in the Park position. You can overadjust the linkage so it forces the arm to hold it in Park but you may lose the L gear position.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
                            Apprentice
                            • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
                            There really isn't any remedy for it. It relies on the shift lever and detent plate to hold it firmly in the Park position. You can overadjust the linkage so it forces the arm to hold it in Park but you may lose the L gear position.

John
                            Looks like that's where I'm at. This is exactly what's happening.
                            The new shift arm made it better, but I don't have "L". Why is that? Am I not adjusting it correctly?

So is this a trany issue or a shifter/linkage issue?

What would it take to convert to center console shift and would that make a noticeable difference?

Thanks.

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you don't have L then it's probably a linkage issue. If you have the shop manual follow the adjustment procedure. If you don't have one I recommend getting one. You can download a digital version for less than $20. Certainly a floor shift will solve a lot of your issues if you don't mind hacking up your console. Others on here have done it but I haven't.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎