X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

fender top indicators freezing up

Hey everyone, I am trying to wire my fender top indicators to the front turn signals because they keep freezing up when I have to much electricity running in my car.
    OK, I know which wires to work with, but I'm not sure, do I wire from the white wire from the plug to the fender indicator wire or do I wire from the black wire or both, I have tried from both and still the fender indicators keep freezing up, am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. I am using T-Tab wire splicers to make the connections. Thanks again!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You want to tie the fender indicators into the white-blue (R) and green-white (L) wires from the front turn signals.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Where are those wires located, are they near the starter sylinoid??

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

It looks like the right wire is blue and yellow, is that possible? The left one is green and white.

I did tie the blue and yellow wire to the black wire that come out of the fender with the small plug, but still the fender indicator freezes up when alot of accessories are on. What could I be doing wrong, possibly the splicers are not making good contact with the wire?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm going by the wiring diagram. It says white-blue for the passenger side but they could've changed it. If the indicators still freeze up then it could be the ground. The bulb grounds using the body of the indicator to the body of the car. There is no separate ground wire. A bad ground could cause the light to freeze when the voltage drops slightly due to increased load. That's my guess. The lights should work as designed without jumping the wiring. That's the way they left the factory.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

If the fender indicators are properly wired to the front turn signals could a bad ground cause the freezing still?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
              If the fender indicators are properly wired to the front turn signals could a bad ground cause the freezing still?
              Yes, because no matter where they are wired to they still don't have a ground wire. They depend on a solid and clean connection between the indicator body and the body of the car. You are not fixing the ground problem by connecting them to the front turn signals.

John

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                Experienced
                • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
                Yes, because no matter where they are wired to they still don't have a ground wire. They depend on a solid and clean connection between the indicator body and the body of the car. You are not fixing the ground problem by connecting them to the front turn signals.

John
                John, on the '66 models they started to attach a ground wire from one of the fender mounting bolts to the inside of the engine bay just inside the hole of the inner fender and then grounded with a screw. Wire should be black .

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've worked on alot of Flairbirds and I can't say I've ever seen a ground wire attached to the fender indicators. Maybe it was a TSB and only got installed on some. The last '66 I had definitely did not have them.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                    Experienced
                    • May 4 2017

There is a wire that is attached to the inside fender wall that does look like a ground screw and it is a black wire, It is just outside a hole, to the left of it. I will take that off and give it a good cleaning and see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Hey everyone, I am trying to wire my fender top indicators to the front turn signals because they keep freezing up when I have to much electricity running in my car...
                      Do you have a volt meter or a multimeter?

Do some voltage checks. While your accessories are running, measure battery voltage. Then, measure the voltage at your turn signal wires (when they are on).

Are you using 1157 bulbs in front and back? What fender lamp numbers are you using? The flasher unit depends on current to cycle but it also depends on 12 to 14 volts. When your car is charging (running) the battery should be at 14-volts. What is your battery voltage?

Fender lights should never stop the flasher from working. If anything they ADD current which makes the flasher cycle slightly faster. Each side should have a front, a rear, a fender and a dash indicator, all on and flashing at the same time. If all these conditions are true and the lights stay on, try a different flasher unit. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                        Experienced
                        • May 4 2017

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but how do I check voltage at the turn signals, where do I touch the probes and what setting on the voltmeter do I use? This is all new to me.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                          Experienced
                          • May 4 2017

All of the lights are flashing at the same time, I don't have a dash flasher light, 1966 didn't have them, I believe. The flasher unit is original, I should take that out and replace it. Do they make a modern version of the turn signal unit?

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 1 2017

All of the lights are flashing at the same time, I don't have a dash flasher light, 1966 didn't have them, I believe. The flasher unit is original, I should take that out and replace it. Do they make a modern version of the turn signal unit?
                            Mike: Make sure that your four way " emergency flasher switch on overhead console is not on . The two relays in the trunk , next to the sequential package are known to go bad due to moisture .
                            Also, there is a relay , for turn signal indicators , ( C5SB-13A366-C ) that is located just below the light switch under dash, just above your left knee .
                            Have found over the years that if there is a problem in the rear with your sequential lights , when operating, the signal indicator light on fender will stay on solid . ( one bulb could be out or relay problem in signal package ) .

ps. The ground wire for the signal indicators is shown on the schematics so new for '66 model year .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                              Experienced
                              • May 4 2017

I heard you can open up the turn signal indicator unit under the dash and bend a prong to get a better connection, I should try that, I see where it is located, getting it out might be a challenge.
                              The sequential lights work good, no burnt out bulbs, I have a feeling it's the underdash unit, will see I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎