• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65cobra03
    Apprentice
    • Dec 27 2006

1960 convertible deck/top

Hi
    The deck lid on my 60 conv unlock's but the pump does not kick in to raise it when closing it the pump does kick in where / which relay or micro switch would most likly be the culprit
    Ben
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's most likely your deck open relay. If you look in the Technical Resource Library you will find the schematics for the top mechanism with the relay locations. If it's not that it could be the deck closed limit switch.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 65cobra03
      Apprentice
      • Dec 27 2006

deck lid

Hi
      thanks for the response i printed the diagram but ??? where exactly is the relay located on the car that you feel might be the problem
      BEN

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It should be the middle relay closest to the back seat. It has yellow wires with a violet band.
        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

John's diagram is excellent. It tells two stories at the same time. Troubleshoot each section separately.

Look at the top LH corner, where the power originates. There are two circuits here, one for 'control' and the other for 'power'.

Let's talk about the power part. It supplies 40 amps through relay contacts to energize motors or solenoids. If you tap the relays you can manually make all the actions happen. If they don't, then there is a fault in the 'power' section. For example, I push the relay that starts the lock screws motors but nothing happens, go to the motor leads and check voltage there. If present, the motor is bad or open.

Next, the 'control' section... These are the switches (limit switches, pushbutton switches) that cause relay coils to pull in the contacts. If pushing the relays manually causes the actions to perform but the switches don't pull in the relays, start tracing wires from the relay coil that ISN'T working, towards the power source. You're looking for +12 volts to ground.

Assuming two things; the limit actuators make proper contact and the power is ok, you will find a loose wire or a bad contact on either a relay, plug/receptacle or pushbutton switch.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

I've had my 63SR for a couple of years and have experienced all the issues one could have with a convertible. From my experience every convertible owner needs to:

#1 - Obtain the proper wiring diagram and trouble shooting instructions for their specific year car. There are subtle differences through the years.

#2 - In addition to the required "jumpers" made according to the manuals, add heavy aligator clips to each end of a heavy guage wire about 6' long and use it to ground the pump motor to something clean, or long enough to go back to the battery.

#3 - Make a long AND FUSED jumper to go from the battery to the pump to jump it directly. Use it first to test if the pump motor is capable of running.

#4 - Follow the diagnostic info and remember only one thing happens at a time. Read the info, and re-read it and then take it to the car to read and familiarize yourself with the location of everything before trying anything.

I had all the issues one could have, and have worked through them buy the book.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• 65cobra03
              Apprentice
              • Dec 27 2006

1960 convertible deck /top

Hi
              Thanks for all the responses. Great info. I am assuming the relay's are behind the rear seat If i am correct what is the procedure to remove the seat back It appears to be attached to the arm rests and the rear shelf I do not want to damage anything
              BEN

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ben,

The seat back is held in by four bolts; two at the bottom of the seat and two in the arm rests. However you may not be able to get to the relays with the seat out. There is usually a cardboard panel that covers the access holes that goes in from the trunk. If you can get the trunk lid open enough by hand you can reach in and remove the pins that hold the trunk lid cylinders and open the trunk lid manually.

John

Comment

• 65cobra03
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 27 2006

1960 deck/top

Hi
                  Now it get's hairy Took the car out for a jaunt came back . for the heck of it the pump started & deck came up This is the second time for this scenario It seem's the deck fail's after i let it all the way down/locked I cycled the deck 7 or 8 times not letting it all the way down & it worked fine up and 3/4 of the way down this kind of tells me it's a limit switch not a relay ???? but which one & where is it located ???
                  BEN

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ben,

It's possible that when your trunk lid is all the way down the flip lid sags and loses contact with the limit switch. It's located under the flip lid. I assume the top is up and the flip lid is fully retracted when you are having this trouble. Check the flip lid just before the trunk closes and see if it starts to hang. This is a common problem on 61-63 Birds but not so much on the 60's. Another possibility is that the limit switch located on the passenger side near the screw lock cylinder is not adjusted correctly. It can be adjusted up and down. If it's too far up the trunk lid won't open when it should.

John

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

A quick and easy thing to try that probably won't help (but won't hurt either) is to push the plungers on all the switches several (10-15) times, hoping to clean the contacts which might be a bit dirty. It might just clean them since your top works intermittantly.

Don't plan on this working, but it just might.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unfortunately mechanical switches and relays are very susceptible to corrosion especially after fifty years. The problem is made worse by lack of use. There are two solutions; replacement or repair. The problem with replacement is that it's expensive and some of the switches aren't available. The better alternative is repair. All the relays and switches can be taken apart and cleaned and it doesn't cost anything. To guarantee yourself that your top works consistently that is what I recommend. Just cleaning the switch or relay that is giving you trouble today isn't going to prevent another one from malfunctioning tomorrow.

John

Comment

• 65cobra03
                          Apprentice
                          • Dec 27 2006

1960 conv deck/top

Hi
                          It was indeed the limit switch on the passenger side next to the deck lock
                          It was adjusted to the highest limit and the contact tab looked to be bent slightly downward I think i have it where it should be ??? At least it work's now I also did the suggested manual exercise of the switches and also sprayed them with electronic contact cleaner Some may get inside ??? & freshen them up As of the moment all is well
                          thank's so much for all the great input I learne a lot about this system from you guy's

Will keep you posted on any future issues

thank's
                          BEN

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎