Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

Thank you Jeff. I in fact called about it and the unit sounded great, until... At this point i am still looking for other options to keep the cost down.

Comment

generator to alternator query

Understand that completely best of luck. Jeff

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Randy, can you fabricate? Can you trim a piece of 8ga. (0.1719" or 4.37mm) mild flat steel and drill holes? Can you make a pattern of your water pump bolt locations and transfer them to your steel plate?

If so, I suggest you get a '94 Mustang or T-bird 130 amp alternator and make your own bracket. eBay has used alt's for ~$60. I'm sure your local bone yard has them too, maybe even cheaper. Bone yards usually cut the wires off so you get all the connectors with the alt.

This is the type of alt you really want. It is easy to wire and will meet your electrical needs today and down the road if you ever mount an electric fan. It also uses your GEN light and it delivers enough amps at idle speed. Your pulley will bolt right on but I suggest you get a larger diameter pulley so your belt doesn't squeal. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ramos291
          Apprentice
          • Sep 18 2014

Thank you Sir. This is exactly what I was looking for. I do have a few mechanical abilities up my sleeve to fabricate a bracket or I even know some one. I just wasn't sure what used one to get. Thank you for the info.

Comment

• ramos291
            Apprentice
            • Sep 18 2014

complete Generator to Alternator conversion

The conversion is done. The new 130 amp 3g alternator from a 94 Tbird is mounted, connected and working great. I wanted to thank you John and Dave for your help, support and patients.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad to hear it was a success. I'd like to see a picture of the finished product to see how you fabricated the brackets. If you get a chance email me a picture or two and I will post them.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Happy, happy! Now you can run one of those big inverters out of your trunk to power 115-volt devices. Enjoy. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎