X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Distributor wires

I am putting the new spark plug wires on and need some help for placement on the distributor. I have a service manual but its hard to see where each one goes. Anybody have the order they go in? I know the passenger side of the motor has cylinder numbers 1234 from the front and 5678 on the driver side. Thanks for the help!
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Firing order is also cast on the int/manif. (15426378) The dist spins counter clockwise. If you are standing on the drivers side of the car. Look at the cap where the retainer facing the rear is. #1 is just to the right (clockwise) from that point. Then go in order (counter clockwise) Cyl # 1 is pass side in front.

Originally posted by Gold Bird
    I am putting the new spark plug wires on and need some help for placement on the distributor. I have a service manual but its hard to see where each one goes. Anybody have the order they go in? I know the passenger side of the motor has cylinder numbers 1234 from the front and 5678 on the driver side. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Gold Bird
      Experienced
      • Nov 9 2007

John, Makes sense now, sorry for the dumb question! Thanks!

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

The only dumb questions are the ones we don't ask.
        I just so happened to be playing with wires last Saturday.

I'm used to 18436572 (Chev firing order) *Mopar too*

Comment

• Gold Bird
          Experienced
          • Nov 9 2007

Got the bird running last night, what a wonderful sound to hear! I checked to make sure the #1 cylinder was in the correct spot, we cranked the engine over with the spark plug out and it was 180 degrees out of phase. Somebody had changed it, so we pulled the distributor, lined up the rotor at the correct location for number one and presto, ran great. The carb needed just a little adjusting and it worked very well. Next up, change to the pertronix unit and new coil. Noticed that I have very stiff springs, my friend suggested changing to a lighter one for quicker response. Should be a great long weekend of playing with the cars!

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

GREAT NEWS!!! I'm glad everything went well fellow birder...
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎