X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elijahbird7
    Experienced
    • Nov 12 2013

Removal of Sports Tire Carrier

Newbie here looking at a '59 Baltic Blue convertible for sale that has a lot of "glitz" items added. Dual spotlights, Chrome Exterior package, Chrome engine package, wire wheels and Sports Tire Carrier. These packages are all correct Ford items, except of course the wire wheels are aftermarket. I was wondering of the possibility of removing the carrier if I buy the car. Would there now be exposed holes in the bumper and marks on the chrome where the kit attached? I know the bullets would have to be replaced, but I think the lines of the rear of the car look better to me without the kit. After looking at it, I'm even unclear as to how you get the spare tire out of there. The owner of the classic car business did not know that answer either. There was however a spare in the factory location as well as a tire in the carrier. I suppose it's too much effort to get the one out of the carrier?
    I have 3 other Thunderbirds, '56 Peacock that was on the cover of Hemmings Classic Car magazine July '07, a '66 428 hardtop, Tahoe Turquoise and White top, and an '04 Merlot I bought new and has 7500 miles now. I'm a few weeks away from making a decision on the '59, but just wanted some input.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Removal of Sports Tire Carrier

Jim, if that Continental kit was installed the way it was supposed to be, you are probably gonna have some holes in your bumper if you take it off. Of course, they could be filled with bolts and nut. You may also have scratches on your chrome. Also, if the chrome "bullets" tips were cut off as they usually are to accommodate the spare tire carrier, you are gonna have to get new bullets, as you said... Others might have more to say about this, but it sounds like the Tbird you are looking at would certainly be one to grab onto, if it is in really great shape. You seldom see one with both spotlights in place, and it sounds like this one is really tricked out.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• elijahbird7
      Experienced
      • Nov 12 2013

I looked at the bullets, and instead of just being cut off with a hole left there, these were finished off solid and chromed over with a flat end instead of the bullet end. The car is all metal, as I took my magnet with me and checked the areas that usually rust out. It shows 32,000+ miles, but the owner of the dealership does not have any documents to prove it. It has been repainted and looks almost perfect. New a/c compressor, etc. There is a place where the convertible top meets the rear deck that the top has pulled away in the center dip, and they are supposed to address that and the passenger door needs a slight adjustment that they will also take care of. I haven't driven it yet, but on a positive note, I like that fact that the top mechanism is the early one that you have to lift the trunk lid and manually operate the flip panel into place. That way no limit switches, relays and worm drive motors to get out of adjustment. They have it priced just under $40k, so don't know if I really want to shell out that much???

Comment

• arizonajack
        Experienced
        • Oct 15 2013

Originally posted by elijahbird7
        It shows 32,000+ miles, but the owner of the dealership does not have any documents to prove it.
        Without documentation, you can bet that it's the second or third time around.

There is a place where the convertible top meets the rear deck that the top has pulled away in the center dip,
        That happened on my 59 several years ago. The tacking strip is made out of some sort of rolled compressed paper that deteriorates over time. I had to replace it with a hard rubber tacking strip that I pop-riveted and then re-attached the edge of the top. Unless they do something like that, it'll be just a quick fix that won't last.

I haven't driven it yet
        When you do drive it, make sure you drive it for a good half hour, streets and highways, and check everything. Before you take it back to the dealer pull into a parking lot and run the AC while the car is in drive and you're sitting still. This will simulate the stop and go strain that AC puts on the engine and you'll be able to see if it overheats.

Then run the heater.

They have it priced just under $40k, so don't know if I really want to shell out that much???
        For that kind of money I'd want the contact information on the previous owner and would go out of my way to interview him/her and see what kind of history and records you can get.

Also run a Carfax or something similar. Won't go back more than 15 years or so but you'll be able to see if there were any frequent owner changes or wrecks.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Is the car advertised on line. If so I'd like to see what it looks like. A 32K mile car will usually have some tell tale signs that it's original. $40K is a lot of money in this economy for a '59 convertible unless it's a concours quality restoration. With the imperfections that you mentioned it certainly doesn't sound like it.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Is this the car? Looks like it sold for $30,000.
            Page Not Found. Here are some quick links to the top Mecum Auctions pages to get you back on track quickly.

John
            Last edited by jopizz; November 14, 2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• elijahbird7
              Experienced
              • Nov 12 2013

I am 99.9% sure that is the car. The dealership must have bought it at Mecum Chicago auction..

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

With the buyers premium it cost them around $33,000 so I can understand them wanting around $40,000. With it being restored there's really no way of telling how many miles are on it. It's really only an issue if the motor and trans weren't rebuilt. Most of the other parts deteriorate from age and should've been replaced. If you don't like all the bling there are quite a few '59 convertibles in the $20-30,000 range.

John

Comment

• elijahbird7
                  Experienced
                  • Nov 12 2013

This is why I love forums. Great to get this information. I know that one of the other cars there he mentioned he got at Mecum, but didn't offer that information on this one.. He said he got it from someone in Wisconsin, which still may be true.
                  Once they finish with the top and adjust the passenger door, I will test drive it and go from there. I was thinking of offering $35K to see what they will take. Is the light blue convertible top correct for the car. I was thinking if I bought it, maybe changing to a dark blue, but don't know which is correct.
                  Thanks!

Comment

• elijahbird7
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 12 2013

This car was just advertised in the current issue of Hemmings. it said to check their website for further information, but it wasn't shown on their website, so since it's close to me, I went down there on Saturday to see the car. I am now wondering if someone in Wisconsin bought it at the Indianapolis Mecum, and this dealer bought it from him?
                    I was assuming he may have bought it from the October, Schaumburg auction, but I guess not. I can't imagine he would have bought it in May, and only just now decided to advertise it??

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You are correct. It's unlikely that a dealer would wait that long to advertise a car. It may have been bought by another dealer who couldn't sell it retail and sent it to auction again. Some '59's had color coordinated tops but without a ROT sheet it's impossible to tell what it originally came with. It's obvious by the pictures that the tacking strip is deteriorating. I would be wary of a temporary fix. The only real repair is to replace the whole strip and retack the top. If you are serious about buying the car I would check underneath very carefully; especially the floors, trunk and where the splash shields meet the undercarriage. Also check the front radiator support. As someone who buys and sells Thunderbirds all the time the car doesn't really do anything for me but to each his own.

John

Comment

• DKheld
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Aug 27 2008

I'm more familiar with the '60 since my Dad bought mine new so maybe the other guys can confirm the observation on seat material.

Did the '59 originally come with piping in the lower seat? - that doesn't look original to me. Thought it was just the two materials sewn together.

I think the rear view mirror is incorrect.

The engine has some type of PCV or EGR hose added to the chrome air cleaner - non original but not a bad addition. That would make me take a close look at the numbers on the engine.

I like the car and color but I'm with you on the rear carrier - never have liked them. Not much on the chrome headlight doors either but each of us have a "look" we like. I doubt I would sell my car for double what I have it insured for but it has family ties so I guess I can't comment on the price.

Looking at my '60 dealer brochure - the only options for tops on a blue car are white vinyl-clad with black lining and light blue vinyl-clad with black lining. The black rayon is not listed for the blue car. There were slight option differences between the years so not certain that a dark blue top was not available in '59.

Hope you find the right one....
                        Eric

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by DKheld
                          Did the '59 originally come with piping in the lower seat? - that doesn't look original to me. Thought it was just the two materials sewn together.

I think the rear view mirror is incorrect.
                          The piping on the seats is correct. The smaller rear view mirror is also correct for '59. Only the 60's came with the larger day/night mirror.

Comment

• elijahbird7
                            Experienced
                            • Nov 12 2013

I have to say I am a sucker for blue cars. I had a '60 Tbird Acapulco blue hardtop in college. My parents owned a new '61 Thunderbird in Diamond Blue. My '56 is Peacock Blue, my low mileage '79 Mark V is Wedgewood Blue, and my '66 is Tahoe Turquoise with a white top. My '12 Mustang Gt convertible is Grabber Blue....see a pattern here?

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I can understand. If you really want a blue '59 convertible there's not many choices out there. Of course, don't tell the salesman that.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎