X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

Motor mount

I am replacing my 352 with a 390 engine. After removing the 352 I removed the motor mounts to see if they were any good...they were not. I got new ones and now I can not remember wich way they go on (getting old). I have a 60 shop manual, but the picture of the motor mounts does not look correct to me, so I need help. Does the opening in the mount go to the front or the rear of the engine?

Thanks

Steve

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Motor mount

I looked at my 1959 T-Bird. The metal part of the mount goes towards the front of the car. The rubber filled opening goes towards the back of the car.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

Thanks Alexander. I do not know what I would do with out you and the rest of the guys. We should be installing the new motor in the next few weeks or so...I am already getting nervous. I got a rebuilt 390 long block with a mild cam and added a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 600 CFM carb, headers, a GM :-( one wire alternator, a new style water pump and a heavy duty fan. I am also putting on a newer flex plate and a mini starter, if it fits. Needless to say I had some fitting problems on the alternator mount, belt and the fan pully, as the new water pump is not he same as the 1960. Luckily, the power steering pump and belt fit OK. I am almost done with the engine, and now must start the engine compartment. For now I am just going to clean it up and paint it. I was going to replace the power steering pump, and the power brake booster and master cylinder, and some other stuff, but I am running out of time and money this year. I will let you know how it runs. Assuming that it does ;-)

Steve Ronk
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      1960 HT
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

There is tremendous variablity in water pumps for the FE engine. You need to get a water pump that has the same shaft length as the original to get the pulley to align. I had the same problem.The original part number for the 352 FE water pump is B9AZ-8501-A. The shaft is 6.29 inches long.

Show us some pictures of how you installed an alternator when you are finished. The generator is a weak spot for these cars even when new. Continuous city driving at night would discharge the battery.

I am glad that this message board is helpful to people. That is why I set it up.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢