Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderstruck
    • Apr 2 2007

62 suspension

So I am looking to update the suspension on my 62. Right now it rides a bit lower than I think it should, with the back being lower than the front by a hair (though in all my time of looking at others, that seems the normal if not correct stance). The car also leans really bad in turns, which I assume is probably pretty common.

In addition to front shocks, what else should I be looking to update/replace? Are there bushings on the sway bars? Should the sway bars be upgraded, etc? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Gas shocks will help. Your going to have to get under there and look at all your suspension bushings. There are better sway bars out there and will help also.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Inch and an eighth (1-1/8") swaybars will help tremenously, but the REAL improvement is when you add sway bars to the rear. I guarantee your T-bird will be flat around corners and it will steer much better.

Call Lance Herrington (800) 722-8697), owner of Thunderbirds Southwest in La Grange, TX. I bought a new set of sway bars from him and I couldn't be happier.

Sway bars won't raise your front end, and neither will shock absorbers. Springs will. Sometimes springs sag over many years. New springs and shocks will deliver a vast improvement in ride.

If you change your front springs, you might want to invest in new "A" arm (suspension) bushings. They're only eight bucks, and each side uses four (two on top, two on the bottom, LH & RH). - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

Sway bars won't raise your front end, and neither will shock absorbers. Springs will. Sometimes springs sag over many years. New springs and shocks will deliver a vast improvement in ride.
        Truth has been spoken. The spring rate(s) on these cars were soft from the factory to ensure a cushy ride. They are now fifty years old and worn out. If you want good handling, you start with the springs and go from there. Rebuild the front end (and steering) while you have it apart and add a larger front and accessory rear sway bar. KYB or TOKICKO shocks will bring a smile to your face guaranteed.

I would research 63/64 M-CODE spring rates.

Does the above image cause anyone else here to also feel sad?

Comment

• thunderstruck
          • Apr 2 2007

great suggestions, thanks everyone. I am going to look into the springs and shocks up front to start with, and probably replacing the bushings on the a arms and sway bar. We'll see where that gets us.

Comment

• KULTULZ

This company is the best source of springs (and related parts) as they were the original supplier to FOMOCO-

-EATON DETROIT SPRINGS-

They are expensive but correct.

The M-CODE I referred to should have read SPORTS ROADSTER (62/63). This model would have had a tighter suspension (spring rates) and would most likely give you the handling you want while still giving a nice ride (IMO).

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
              Experienced
              • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by KULTULZ
              The M-CODE I referred to should have read SPORTS ROADSTER (62/63). This model would have had a tighter suspension (spring rates) and would most likely give you the handling you want while still giving a nice ride (IMO).
              If there is a different spring rate for "M"-series cars, I haven't found it yet. There are different load ratings based upon body style (HT vs Conv) and with/withouth AC, but I haven't stumbled acrossed a part number for a version ID'd for HD (yet). Let me know if you find some .
              Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
              Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
              Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

62 suspension

There have been some posts here that reveal some interesting Ford history. It is fascinating to read.. I have moved those historical posts to a new thread here, called Some Interesting Ford History, per KULTULZ's suggestion. I hope that I got them in the right sequence.
                Last edited by YellowRose; July 4, 2010, 11:25 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎