X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
    and don't forget the Bullet Birds had hydraulic wipers powered by the power steering pump. Worked very well but expensive to manufacture. Lots of interesting changes in the auto industry and the way things were done. Hydraulic windows on some cars, vacuum systems working lots of things as mentioned, early AC with units in the trunk and ducting up through the rear deck, Power steering pumps on the back of generators (GM) and many others. Often said "they don't build them like they used to" is so true!!
    Only the '63 Bulletbirds had hydraulic wipers. Most '61 and all '62 Thunderbirds had electric wipers which worked perfectly well. Why Ford decided to change is another mystery.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
      ...Why Ford decided to change is another mystery.
      I tried to explain this, John. Fluid power is mechanical.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      ...At home at Ford, politics played a big role between designers because the mechanical guys were deathly afraid their jobs would be 'taken over' by more electrical engineers...
      You wouldn't believe the pressures and politics involved in the auto industry. Nobody wants to make a mistake so they move cautiously. Lots of 'pretty-boys' are lined-up hoping to be heard by the boss. It took Lee Iacocca, with all his successful Mustang decisions, seven years to get launch approval because he was hated by HFII and his office was kept miles away from world HQ so Henry didn't have to see him every morning.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        I tried to explain this, John. Fluid power is mechanical.
        I guess the old adage was true. "If it ain't broke fix it".

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

In this age we trade vehicle tech dollars for fossil fuel dollars. Look at the 8 and 10 speed auto transmissions that have to cost manufacturers and consumer more initially in order to save .5 MPG over the life of the vehicle.

I heard someone at FoMoCo invented intermittent wipers. I recall my brother's 1964 Thunderbird having a delay wiper that was just a slower wipe. How long did that go on? and how does this relate to that engineer?

Dean

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎