• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Reverse problem

Ho ho ho, happy holiday season.
    My next problem: with a cold transmission, all is working fine. Once the transmission is hot for a longer time, when putting into Reverse, it seems to be in Neutral and doesn´t move at all. Any idea what the problem can be?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you haven't done a routine service (clean the filter and fill with new type "F" fluid) that's what I would recommend. If you've already done that then it may need an adjustment or something more serious.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

I have not changed the filter nor fluid myself, but it should have been done less then 900 miles ago. The fluid looks clean and fresh. There is only not an F type fluid in the transmission, its not available overhere. The fluid which is in there is a Dexron III equivalent. It shifts fine, the only problem is Reverse when hot.
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Frango100
        I have not changed the filter nor fluid myself, but it should have been done less then 900 miles ago. The fluid looks clean and fresh. There is only not an F type fluid in the transmission, its not available overhere. The fluid which is in there is a Dexron III equivalent. It shifts fine, the only problem is Reverse when hot.
        I had some of that problem, and it was the linkage out of adjustment by a fraction.
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Originally posted by sidewalkman
          I had some of that problem, and it was the linkage out of adjustment by a fraction.
          Thanks for that Scott, I have quite some play on the shift mechanism, which can be a part of the problem. It seems that a locally made shift lever was installed on the lower steering shaft, which has some play on it. That will be a new project for the near future to tackle.
          sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎