Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960_tbirdman
    • Nov 29 2010

1960 Generator sparking

I am having the usual generator problems. Have replaced voltage regulator and battery still not getting charge. We did all the tests discussed in forum. I removed and cleaned the armature and replaced brushes. After installing on car, there seems to be more sparking than normal. Were we supposed to seat in brushes or should I look at something else?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

If the brushes are flat, you will see more sparking until they wear-in. Put your battery on a charger so the demand isn't a lot for your generator at first trial.

I assume you have a stock 35-amp Ford generator and a stock-type voltage regulator.

There is a little more to this than just hooking it up and running. I like to start with the GEN light. Does it work? This is important because it 'tickles' the armature every time you turn your key on, before the engine turns.

Finally, you need to 'flash' the generator. There are lots of web sites devoted to this, but basically, the generator light will shine if the generator is charging in the wrong direction. Flashing (polarizing), straightens things, your GEN light will go out, and your battery will indicate 13.5-volts when properly charging. CLICK HERE - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 1960_tbirdman
      • Nov 29 2010

Generator Sparking

The brushes were bought from Concourse and were not totally flat. The Generator light is working. The generator and voltage regulator is the standard. We did flash the generator.

Comment

• redstangbob
        Experienced
        • Feb 18 2011

I'm guessing the charging problem was the reason for changing the battery and regulator, there are a few things to do to eliminate the trouble spot. First check voltage with engine off, and again with the engine at high idle. if it's up by a volt or more the system is charging, though maybe not well. Next disconnect the small yellow/black wire from the 'A' term on the regulator, then turn on the key ad check the Gen light. It should not be lit, if it is that wire has a short to ground someplace and needs to be fixed before going further. After that check the 'F' term with a test light and the engine running, the light should be lit. This is a 'B' circuit system, meaning the regulator supplies current to the field windings in the generator, in an 'A' circuit the regulator supplies a ground for the field windings. Flashing is just a way to set up the residual magnetism in the generator so output is is in the direction the regulator is expecting so to speak. Hope this is a help, Bob C
        Last edited by redstangbob; February 20, 2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I need more info. You say the brushes are sparking but it doesn't charge. You say the GEN light works, but you didn't say whether it goes on and off. The charging system is simple, with a generator and regulator (and battery). I will assume the generator is working properly. If it is not, we will talk about that.

For now...

What wires did you connect to your Voltage Regulator? Tell me the colors and which terminal they connect to. There are three regulator lugs and a ground, and six wires at the regulator. Three of those wires go to the proper terminals on the generator. Trace them and let me know how the wires are connected.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

If anyone needs info from it, I have a booklet published by Ford:

"The Ford Service Technician: Ford Generator and Starter Service" - 1960 Ford Service Forum No. 7.

It has an overview of their generators and starters, checking them, disassembly and assembly. The very last page has specs of possible interest for the '60 TBird.

I scanned it in and have it at:

1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Generator sparking

Thanks to JohnG, I put that Official Ford Technical manual Generator and Starter Repairs in the TRL. I put a link to it in the Generator section and again in the Starter section, since it covers both. Thanks, John!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎