This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default Add-on Power Brakes

Wasn't sure if this should have been under the disk brake conversion or .... so here goes.

My Bird originally had standard brakes, but someone (possibly the dealer?) added power brakes. She's has a booster and a spacer (between the booster and the firewall) added.

I saw a vacuum tank (for the power brakes) advertized on Ebay but unfortunetly forgot to check/update my bid and it got away. I figured I probably needed one since mine didn't have one.

Is this vacuum tank necessary for the proper operation of the power brakes? Is it necessary if you upgrade to disk brakes with a new booster/master cylinder?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Add-on Power Brakes

The vacuum tank gives you spare vacuum, it is my understanding that it allows you to still use your power brakes (for one or two uses only) if your engine would quits running, and you loose your vacuum. I would think it would be desirable to have a vacuum tank no matter what brake combination you would have.

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 08-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road

Well i got to say i have never seen a T-Bird with a spare vacume tank.
This dont mean is was not avalible but did have a spare tank on my 1960 Ford Sunliner and boy did that car stop well.
Kev.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

The tank is usually well hidden behind the splash shield. You can see the hose from the master cylinder running to it .......behind the drivers front fender.......Although...........I did see someone once make one out of an old coffee can :7
Old 08-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

1960 Bird said:
>The vacuum tank gives you spare vacuum, it is my
>understanding that it allows you to still use your power
>brakes (for one or two uses only) if your engine would
>quits running, and you loose your vacuum. I would think it
>would be desirable to have a vacuum tank no matter what
>brake combination you would have.
>
58tdactyl said:
The tank is usually well hidden behind the splash shield. You can see the hose from the master cylinder running to it .......behind the drivers front fender.......Although...........I did see someone once make one out of an old coffee can

So then I'm assuming that I don't really *need* it but that it's nice to have in case of an engine problem?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Apprentice

49effie is on a distinguished road

Here I go talking about something I don't really know about but.....

I have the type of power brakes that has the power assist unit under the dash - a bellows type of setup. I believe that the tank was used for this type of unit as there was not any capacity built into the unit under the dash. I just recently took my fender splash out to look at my tank. It did not seem as big as I thought it might be for whatever that's worth. The shop manual I have for a '58 shows a hose from the manifold to the tank (with a check valve) and another hose from the tank to the bellows unit. My '59 has a hose with a "t" in it with one hose going to the tank and another going to the bellows unit. I am assuming that the "t" has a check valve built in it.

I'm not sure (and doubt) that they would also use the tank behind the fender shield for the type of power unit that is under the hood on the fire wall as these seem to already have a "tank" on the unit for capacity.

As someone said additional capacity is a plus to have reserve vacuum for the ups and downs with engine speed or the engine is off.
1998 Subaru Legacy SW (not web worthy)