This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default Accelerator Linkage Seal

I've gotten into a discussion with another member of the Yahoo Group "Squarebirds" about a seal.

I have a seal on the floor of my Squarebird where the accelerator linkage comes through. He says there is no such part in any listings of parts for the Squarebird.

How many of you have this part on your Squarebird? Additionally, does anyone know if this is an original part?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Accelerator Linkage Seal

I have had the same problem. there is a lot pf confusion as what is supposed to go there, since most of the time no seal remains there.

From what I have been able to acertain, the origianl seal was a rectangular piece of flat rubber with a hole in it. The hole in the seal attaches to the accerlator rod tightly. The seal is mounted between the two layers of floorboard. In this way the seal rides up and down with the accerator rod which moves both in an out and up and down. This keep dirt and water off the carpet, but not out of the area between the two layers of floorboard under the accelerator.

Mac's lists two parts for this. I will see this weekend what the part number is in the Ford blue parts book.

Year/Make/Model Part Name Description Contact Price
1958 - 1960 Ford Thunderbird ACCELERATOR PEDAL ROD SEAL BA-9738-S. To floor Mac's Antique Auto Parts $1.95 Each
1958 - 1960 Ford Thunderbird ACCELERATOR PEDAL ROD SEAL B8S-9727-A. Mac's Antique Auto Parts $1.95 Each

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 06-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Apprentice

pabob1960 is on a distinguished road

This is what I seen on one bird. The was a splash guard mounted on tranny to keep water and dirt out of hole. Has any one seen this guard?
Old 06-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Experienced

>I have had the same problem. there is a lot pf confusion as
>what is supposed to go there, since most of the time no seal
>remains there.
>
>From what I have been able to acertain, the origianl seal
>was a rectangular piece of flat rubber with a hole in it.
>The hole in the seal attaches to the accerlator rod tightly.
>The seal is mounted between the two layers of floorboard.
>In this way the seal rides up and down with the accerator
>rod which moves both in an out and up and down. This keep
>dirt and water off the carpet, but not out of the area
>between the two layers of floorboard under the accelerator.
>
Alexander -- I've seen this part in a couple of manuals -- A square gasket/piece of rubber. But they show it being on top of the inner floorboard.

Mine is a round piece of rubber that fits into the hole (with a hole in the center for the linkage rod) between both pieces of floorboard sheetmetal effectivly sealing this hole. I should also add that my linkage hasn't "bound up" in any way with this seal.

I have 3 pics of mine that I'll share with anyone that wants to see them.

Thing is -- None of the parts catalogs show this part, as do any of the "original" parts listings. At least, none that I've seen so far.

Even the 1958 Body, Sealant, and Trim Manual doesn't show it (it shows a square piece of "something" but says nothing about it).

So you experts can understand the confusion, eh?
Old 06-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Experienced

>This is what I seen on one bird. The was a splash guard
>mounted on tranny to keep water and dirt out of hole. Has
>any one seen this guard?

I haven't seen anything mounted on the tranny, but I have seen a seal mounted on the "hump" in the pass compartment for a couple of holes. One being for a tranny adjustment access hole, and the other for an overdrive cable hole.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Experienced

>Mine is a round piece of rubber that fits into the hole
>(with a hole in the center for the linkage rod) between both
>pieces of floorboard sheetmetal effectivly sealing this
>hole. I should also add that my linkage hasn't "bound up" in
>any way with this seal.
>
I should also add that to me, it just doesn't make any sense to leave an open hole in the floor, especially at that location!

With an open hole of that size, I would imagine the carpet almost always being damp. Additionally, imagine all the dirt, water, etc. that would accumulate in there!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:16 AM

re_run1 is on a distinguished road

I have a metal splash guard on the tranny of my 60 Goldie top

Reon
60 Golde Top
Old 06-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Apprentice

tbirdtom is on a distinguished road

I responded to someone about this seal on the other forum. I researched the parts books for 1958, 1959, and 1960, and they DO NOT show a seal for this area. It is true that some parts dealers sell a seal, but it is not correct. The metal slash shield protected the linkage from water, also the hole. I have examined 2 low milage original 1960's, one with 13,000 miles, and one with 17,000 miles and neither one had a seal. The first year for the seal was 1961.
My challenge to non-believers is show me a part number from a Ford parts book, not some Thunderbird parts catalog!
I say they didn't have one!

Tom Young

Old 06-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

I will agree with the consensus about reproduction parts. The vendors will do just about anything to make a part and then sell it as original, so them selling the accelerator seal makes one wonder.

I did a bit of searching this morning in an original parts book that ends in early 1959. Had a bit of trouble finding the accelerator rod seal but did find a part number.

B7A-9793-A Listed as seal, accelerator rod. Used on 57 to at least 59 cars. I was not able to find a pic of this on any of the illustrations but located the base number from later years and worked backwards.

I have a supposedly low mileage 58 but forgot to check it out tonight to see if there was one installed .

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Old 06-18-2004, 11:02 AM

JonLuc_58

I have recently seen a low mileage (<20K) '60 and no seal was present. I do believe that there was no seal as original equipment.

Jon

1960 Golde Top