X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Infinite Monkeys
    Apprentice
    • Aug 24 2017

Trying to water proof the interior

I've started on cleaning the interior of the car. I have the carpet out and looks like the rust isn't as bad as I thought. The rust is limited to the front floor pans. Left side is badly rusted out in the middle and the right is just along the front, where the floor meets the fire wall.

Right now I'm not going to do a full remove and replace of the pans. I'm just going to cut out the rust and weld in patch panels.

I would like to stop further water intrusion. Looks like water has been seeping in down the fire wall and collecting on the floor.

What are the likely areas water can seep into the car along the fire wall?

Thanks.
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

How is the windshield seal? When it dries out, water can easily pass.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

One notorious place is in the wiper well. There are low spots where debris and water collect, allowing water to leak down the firewall. Once you remove the screen you can feel the rust with your hand. How you repair it is up to you.
      Carl

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
        Apprentice
        • Aug 24 2017

Took off the wiper screen and looks like this is the main suspect. The windshield gasket is also cracking and I'm sure it is also contributing to the leak.

I did not have the intention to do a full restoration when I bought the car and I'm still of the same mind set, just want a driver.

I also don't want to rig a fix that can not be easily undone if I decide to restore it, or sell it and someone else wants to restore it.
        It is a very restore-able car. Engine, trany and the rear end are not original, so originality is no longer a factor.

So I was thinking to close off the 7 large holes that are below the screen and provide for drainage under the screen. This should stop the water from going into the car.
        Has anyone tried this. Seems like a viable option to me.

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
          Apprentice
          • Aug 24 2017

I've looked over the area under the wiper screen and looks like there's nothing there that I would need to be able to get to in order to fix anything. Just seems like a moisture and debris trap that leads to problems.

Is there anyone that thinks that just sealing this area off is a bad idea?

Thanks again.

Comment

• partsetal
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 4 2005

Why not try some roofing cement?

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
              Apprentice
              • Aug 24 2017

[QUOTE=partsetal;111482]Why not try some roofing cement?[/Q

I've found lots of rust and holes in the well. There's no good way, other than a lot of body panel removal, to get in there and clean and paint to get anything to stick.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎