No announcement yet.

oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure

Like to know if I should worry about the oil preasure . I have a mecanical gauge hooked up and when the car is cold and at idle shows 50-60 pounds but when the car heats up at idle it reads under 20 but goes up to 40-50 as soon as I accerate. It is making no noise and runs usually as smooth as when new. the other thing that is driving me nuts is that it does have a gas odor when warm and running for awhile and I think that is the gasket under the riser or might be running too rich. Rebuilt carb was just put on due to the fact the old one was leaking due to the floats sticking and was a holley. I haven't adjusted it yet. when I smell the gas it does run a little rough and wants to stall out. on acceleration it pumps out a little white smoke till the idle is brought up. Anyone can help with either of these will be greatly apprecated
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I would not worry about the oil pressure. White smoke raises red flags. It can be steam or brake fluid. Are you losing or topping off fluids?

Rich mixture usually shows black or brown.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      I would not worry about the oil pressure. White smoke raises red flags. It can be steam or brake fluid. Are you losing or topping off fluids?

Rich mixture usually shows black or brown.
      only had the car since the end of april and have put less then 200 miles due to so many things that needed to be repaired before it should be used. So far have not added any fluids to include antifreeze , oil , brake fluid other then what I had to do when doing a brake job or transmission fluid . The smoke is short and only when the car starts running rough and wants to stall. Give it some gas that's when I see the white smoke or lite grey if you want to call it. But just slightly and just for a very short time till the car smooths out.

Comment

thank you simply. I forgot to mention I add mystery oil to the gas at 4oz per 10 gallons could be why the white or lightish colored smoke at idle. Glad to hear not to worry about the oil preasure though. Didn't want to pull or raise the engine to replace pump but bought one just in case.

Comment

special landau logo

Hi does anyone know a way or where I can get the decal to replace the special landau logo on the lower roof side moldings.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

oil preasure

David, check with any of the major Tbird parts companies listed in the Advertisements Forum to see if they have this part. Contact the Bird House in Delaware, the Bird Nest in Oregon, or many of the others on that list.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by special landau
              ...I forgot to mention I add mystery oil to the gas at 4oz per 10 gallons...
              At a concentration of 320:1, I seriously doubt that could produce smoke of any kind.

Lubricating properties of two-cycle oil start at around 50:1.

A puff of smoke at startup tells me something leaked into the intake. It could be oil, down the valve guides. It could be brake fluid, from the M/C seal being bad. In the case of brake fluid, that doesn't normally happen until the booster fills up with brake fluid and the liquid level reaches the check valve. Then, the fluid 'sips' into the booster when your brake pedal cycles.

Give this car time to settle down, with short trips at first. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

thank you for your infor seems after I replced the carb it runs so much better and no more smoke. This weekend I had a bad gas leak though. Found out there's a small piece of rubber hose behind the inner wheel well that is 50 years old lol. and was the problem. what a place to put a rubber hose.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  David, check with any of the major Tbird parts companies listed in the Advertisements Forum to see if they have this part. Contact the Bird House in Delaware, the Bird Nest in Oregon, or many of the others on that list.
                  Thank you I will have to check these sites. The car has the door logos and the brass pla but the roof logos are faded. I tried Mac's but they only have the regular roof trim as does thunderbird headquarters. Maybe will have better luck with the places you mentioned

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎