This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default New Bumpers

Got a set of new (new to me, that is) bumpers for my '58 -- They came off a '60. Man do they look nice. I can't wait to see what they look like on my Bird. ;)

In talking to the Gentleman (seller) on the phone, he made them sound like they were almost as bad as my current ones. Well, in two words ... They're not. These actually shine! They DO have a few gouge marks from shipping .. on the top of the front bumper. :( But overall, they look 1000% better then mine.

So now I have a spare 60 grill with insert, and a spare set of bumpers that need help. The grill insert has a small dent in it unfortunetly.

Just thought I'd share. ;)
Old 09-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

49effie is on a distinguished road
Default RE: New Bumpers

Travlin'

Haven't heard much about your squarebird lately, how's it going?
1998 Subaru Legacy SW (not web worthy)
Old 09-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Experienced

>Travlin'
>
>Haven't heard much about your squarebird lately, how's it
>going?

Well, despite three hurricanes it's still there.

I bought an 88 Eldorado (fair condition) for $150.00. Has a load of brand new parts in it, including a one wire alternator. Guess where that's going? ;)

I'm currently considering where some of the "toys" from the Caddi could go in my Bird. I already know where the power seats are going. :D
Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

It is good news that you have new bumpers for you car. Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you. The 1958 front bumper is different than the 1959 and 1960. The grill insert of the 1958 will not properly mount in a 1959 and 1960 bumper. I just want to inform of you that before you have a nervous breakdown wondering why your grille does not fit in the new bumper.

1959 and 1960 bumper B9S 17757-A
1958 bumper C0SZ 17757-A (Motors lists it as C0SB-17762A, but it may be a misprint as there is no 17762 part group in the Ford Blue Book)

It is odd that the 1958 bumper has a 1960 part number, but there may have been a design change made after the car was produced.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 10-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Experienced

>It is good news that you have new bumpers for you car.

Thank you Alexander.

>Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you. The 1958 front
>bumper is different than the 1959 and 1960. The grill insert
>of the 1958 will not properly mount in a 1959 and 1960
>bumper. I just want to inform of you that before you have a
>nervous breakdown wondering why your grille does not fit in
>the new bumper.

After I read what you'd wrote, I went and pulled the '60 grill out and installed the '58. You are correct -- It doesn't mount the same.

In order for me to use the existing (1960) brackets, I'll need to drill three holes in my grill. I can live with that. No nervous breakdown in sight. ;-)

>1959 and 1960 bumper B9S 17757-A
>1958 bumper C0SZ 17757-A (Motors lists it as
>C0SB-17762A, but it may be a misprint as there is no 17762
>part group in the Ford Blue Book)

Your research is appreciated. :-)

>It is odd that the 1958 bumper has a 1960 part number, but
>there may have been a design change made after the car was
>produced.

The differences in the bumpers seem to be that the 58 has more holes along the top of the grill opening then the 60 has, and the brackets are a little different. Where the 60 bumper uses narrow brackets using one bolt on both the bumper and the grill, the 58 uses wide brackets with two bolts at each end.

Looking at the big picture, I'd say it was a cost-cutting move.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I am glad it worked out for you. If you could send me a picture of the back of both bumpers for comparison, I can post them. It may be helpful to other people.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top