This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default This really makes me feel *sick*

We all love our Birds -- What do we do to safegard them? Seriously, what are some theft precautions you folks take (other then keeping her locked up in a garage)?

Here's what prompted me to ask ... Seeing these actually gave me that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

This Bird was stolen in Florida and rolled by the thief in S.C.

http://www.tnsharpei.com/julie/tbird-1.jpg

http://www.tnsharpei.com/julie/tbird-2.jpg

http://www.tnsharpei.com/julie/tbird-3.jpg

http://www.tnsharpei.com/julie/tbird-4.jpg

Here's a shot of her before being stolen -- I think it's the one that hurts the most:

http://www.tnsharpei.com/julie/tbird-6.jpg

Old 08-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: This really makes me feel *sick*

Too bad that the Thunderbird has such a rigid body that the theif survived the roll over.

It is a shame when a car that has had such care for almost half a century comes to such a terrible end. My condolences to the owner. It was a beautiful car.

I have wired a starter cutoff in one car and a starter cutoff in the other car. I spliced it into the wiring and then rewrapped it with repro vinyl covering just as they used out of the factory, so it is not possible to see the anti-theft system.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 08-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

I'm planning on retaining the electric fuel pump that came on my Bird. I was figuring on using a cutoff switch for the pump.

Also want to get one of those armored hood locks where you push the mechanism in and it locks the hood via a pin at the end of a cable. The mechanism requires a key to unlock it in order to open the hood.

I've also seen these things advertized where all you do is turn a switch and if someone tries to start the car without turning the switch back to the correct position, it blows a fuse that will keep the car from being started.

Anyone have pros or cons to these anti-theft measures?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road

Travlin,
The best idea and good is to remove the Rotary arm from the dizzy when not in use but do lose it from your pocket.
Smooth door locks too so you cant open them with a coat hanger. And the ignition cut of switch but apart from the normal alarm systems use a wheel clamp!.
But if you were me i dont let my girl out of my sight! and for those who have meet me they will say thats true.
Kev.