352 engine and bumper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

352 engine and bumper

what are thoose two items?

possible to buy this bolt new? i have to break mine off.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 352 engine and bumper

The object in the first picture is a coolant temperature sensor. You should be able to get that new.

Chrome bumper bolts are available new.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

I've never seen a fitting for the heater hose like that.

Is that a common item?

I recently installed an after-market gauge set that included a water temp gauge. It works great, but my stock temperature gauge is now disabled because I used the manifold sensing unit location for the new gauge.

With that kind of fitting at the hose, I could possibly run both gauges.
      Casey

Comment

not sure whats up with the engine setup is like i got the engine dissambled from the car like this:

if anyone could give me a pic of thoose what kind of hose/wire is connected to thoose sensors i would appreicate it so i know what to connect to them.

Comment

not even sure the engine is orginal. it was blue when i got it. and only with a 2carb set up. could be someone have overhauled the engine from along time ago but not sure,

Comment

• peeeot
            Experienced
            • Oct 23 2005

The tube with the coolant temperature sensor is connected by a very short hose to a tube on the back of the water pump. Since the tubes are different sizes, I used a smaller hose on the water pump and had it butt against the manifold tube with the pump in place on the block, and then used a larger diameter hose to overlap the smaller hose and the manifold tube. I wrapped a hose clamp around it and it has not leaked at all.

The other fitting on top of the manifold is for a heater hose that runs back to the heater core on the firewall.

Comment

alright then, thanks for the input.

Comment

>I've never seen a fitting for the heater hose like that.
                >
                >Is that a common item?
                >
                >I recently installed an after-market gauge set that included
                >a water temp gauge. It works great, but my stock temperature
                >gauge is now disabled because I used the manifold sensing
                >unit location for the new gauge.
                >
                >With that kind of fitting at the hose, I could possibly run
                >both gauges.

Casey -- back in the 70s I seem to recall adapters sold that allowed for dual sending units.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 31 2004

I will only try and clarify, what has been written.

The first pics arrow to the nipple sticking out of the intake manifold was stock for 58 and 58 birds with and was the piece used to mount the temp sensor unit. In 60 the temp sensor was moved to the top of the intake.

The intake appears to be from a 58 but could not make out the date codec behind the 5751087 casting number. ID key, is it was painted light blue which is correct for 58 engine blocks. Are you working ona 58 bird??

I don't remember if there is a threaded hole in the intake manifold proper with a plug where thr temp sensor could be mounted. As my memory serves me the answer is no.

Fuz
                  58's&64's
                  Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

No im working on a 59 tbird but could be that the engine is from somewhere else. since it was blue orginal when i got it.

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

I will check my 1959. I think the temperature sensor is on the manifold. It is a correct 1959 Thunderbird intake manifold.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

thanks alexander. if the engine aint correct for that year its very sad. because i wanted to have a correct engine for that car.

Also would you do me a favour to take picture of all the vaccum lines that goes from the manifold. and if possible pictures of the cable going to the temp and oil pressure sender on the engine. thankk allot if you could do that.

Comment

• Alexander
                          Webmaster
                          • Oct 30 2002

I looked at my 1959 manifold. It has the temp sensor in the same place as your car. The casting number on your intake manifold is the correct one for your car.

I think Fuz is right about the sendor being relocated to the intake manifold in 1960. The sensor is tough to get to ahead of the intake manifold.

Alexander
                          1959 Hardtop
                          1960 Golde Top
                          Alexander
                          1959 Hard Top
                          1960 Golde Top
                          sigpic

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 31 2004

Fords did not specifically match engines to serial numbers, but if you want to know if the engine could have been in your bird from the factory that we can tell you, or at least the external parts can tell you.

On each of the external pieces their is and engineering number in the case of the intake it is 5751037. Couldn't read it earlier.
                            But behind this casting number is a date code and based on what I can see it reads 9F 13 decodes to 1959 june 13. From the data plate on your car there is a date code listed. What needs to be is the date codes for the various engine pieces need to be somewhere around 1 week and 1 month prior to the build date of the bird. These are approximate right now as info is sketchy at best.

As for the other pieces that have codes exhaust manifolds, engine block, and heads. I can help you find the locations for all these pieces and decode them for you.

There is one other inteesting place to find info on your engine block.
                            Above the oil filter housing and twords the diver door of the top of the dip stick is a flat somewhat smooth piece of the block that sticks out twords the inner fender well. The info is when the engine assembly date and code for person who did it. No way to decode who did it but rest of info is available. The stamping is hard to see in the engine bay and sometimes it was not deep so seeing it is a big pain, but the info is there.

All of this info will be contained in the next version of the VTCI concourse rules. We are currently up to 250 plus pages and will probably be much larger than that when finally assembled. Most of the info contained with in this document was compiled by Alan Tast. He should recieve many kudos form the bird community, as this has been one huge undertaking. OK I am now done plugging the concourse rules.

Fuz
                            58's&64's
                            Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎