X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Here are the photo's as promised,

Number 1 is a shot of the aftermarket water pump fitted, you may also see that the shaft is shorter and the gussets are larger than on an OEM water pump.

Number 2 is the side view of same pump.

Number 3 is a shot showing the alignment issues between the billet pulley I ended up sourcing, and as you can see the pulley walls are thicker than the crank pulley, thus not lining up correctly. No doubt if I went with this some big fun would have ensued.

Number 4 is the OEM pulley placed over the aftermarket pump and you can see the gap between the end of the shaft and where the keyway actually is.... large amounts of air in between.

As mentioned in my previous post, I am resurrecting the old OEM water pump, with a new shaft and bearings sorted, a quick clean of the impeller, and I can use the OEM pulley Ray sourced.

Once in place I will post pics of that as well with the air con in place (and the alternator).

Then when that is done its on to putting aircon on the 59 and using the 2 sheave pulley Ray found for me as well.

The fun never stops!!
    Attached Files
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Bill,

I thought I was the only one that when starting a project it never goes as planned (and I mean never).

Glad to see you're making progress though and thanks for the pics. Supposed to be around 32C (90F) here today and I will be out on a parts run in the Tbird. Will be wishing I had your A/C unit. Someone asked me one time what temps I expected out of my A/C conversion when I finish it. Told them I didn't know exactly but when I opened the door of my car at a car show I expect the temp at the show to drop a few degrees from all the cold air escaping from my car. Hope yours is the same.

I did just convert my R-12 system in my small pick-up to R-134 last week. Outside temp was 29C (85F) and the air coming out of the ducts was about 5C (42F). That would be nice on my Tbird conversion.

That is an unusual looking water pump - possibly a FE truck pump? Guess it doesn't matter since you will have the correct one on there shortly.

Interested in the alternator conversion too. I had been eyeing the CRAP low mount bracket for the FE as a possibility.

@ Wyldie...
      You're right - this is a great bunch of folks. I'm always learning something on here and hope any info I post helps .....or at least doesn't hurt.....

Eric

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

[QUOTE=DKheld;108368]Bill,

I thought I was the only one that when starting a project it never goes as planned (and I mean never). ]

Well Eric, the A/C went to plan, and is in situ. The alternator is another story... I went with a very well known vendor from Ca and ordered their kit but it looks like there are bolts etc missing...yay as I can seem to get the adjustment arm located anywhere and if I had the bolt I would have a clue...but I dont. The instructions arent all that clear either. I am emailing them to see if they can help but as they are basically a reseller, no doubt they will need to ask someone else.

Fun times!

and to make it all the more amusing, I was putting the other bird away last night, having moved it to work on this one....and the generator light came on and wont go off

Repeat after me, we love classic cars, we love classic cars...
        sigpicBill

Comment

• Wyldie
          Apprentice
          • Dec 22 2016

Haha, all fun and games, I'll come round and give you a hand we'll have both your birds sorted in no time. Have the a/c running just in time for winter!

Comment

• Penelope
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by Wyldie
            Haha, all fun and games, I'll come round and give you a hand we'll have both your birds sorted in no time. Have the a/c running just in time for winter!
            Cheers Michael, much appreciated. got the alternator mounted and used the old generator brackets and "modified" the vendors adjustment bracket. bottom line is it works! Frankenstein eat your heart out.

I am away this week but will post pics when I'm back.
            sigpicBill

Comment

• Penelope
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by DKheld
              Bill,

I thought I was the only one that when starting a project it never goes as planned (and I mean never).

Glad to see you're making progress though and thanks for the pics. Supposed to be around 32C (90F) here today and I will be out on a parts run in the Tbird. Will be wishing I had your A/C unit. Someone asked me one time what temps I expected out of my A/C conversion when I finish it. Told them I didn't know exactly but when I opened the door of my car at a car show I expect the temp at the show to drop a few degrees from all the cold air escaping from my car. Hope yours is the same.

I did just convert my R-12 system in my small pick-up to R-134 last week. Outside temp was 29C (85F) and the air coming out of the ducts was about 5C (42F). That would be nice on my Tbird conversion.

That is an unusual looking water pump - possibly a FE truck pump? Guess it doesn't matter since you will have the correct one on there shortly.

Interested in the alternator conversion too. I had been eyeing the CRAP low mount bracket for the FE as a possibility.

@ Wyldie...
              You're right - this is a great bunch of folks. I'm always learning something on here and hope any info I post helps .....or at least doesn't hurt.....

Eric
              Eric, here are the photo's of the A/C compressor and the alternator. The A/C compressor was from Classic Auto Air and fitted pretty well but the alternator, despite being a "retro fit" designed for the car required quite a deal of fiddling with spacer adjustments, adjustment bracket modification and finally use of original generator mounting brackets. Its now all in though. Tidy up of electrics will be done this weekend (thanks Wyldie ) and finally, conversion to electric fuel pump tonight. Then she should be a runner.... the fluid you can see on the alternator belt is Evans Waterless Coolant, now dried off....
              Attached Files
              sigpicBill

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Water pump pulley for '58-'60 Non-OEM A/C To CAA

Bill, that is exactly what my mechanic had to do to my generator mounting bracket to make my alternator work on my '59! Works great!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Looks great Bill.

Hopefully will have mine finished up this winter too - just in time for cold weather.

Also - if anyone following needs an COAE-8509-A OEM type A/C pulley one appeared on the big auction site recently. Fair price I'd think if it goes for the opening bid.

Item # 142393249212

Eric

Comment

• Penelope
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by DKheld
                    Looks great Bill.

Hopefully will have mine finished up this winter too - just in time for cold weather.

Also - if anyone following needs an COAE-8509-A OEM type A/C pulley one appeared on the big auction site recently. Fair price I'd think if it goes for the opening bid.

Item # 142393249212

Eric
                    Thanks Eric, now the carb is in for re-kitting after putting an electric fuel pump on her last night.... this should be it and I hope to hear her roaring again over the weekend.

That's a cheap 3 sheave, at that price its better than money in the bank!
                    sigpicBill

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎