Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepers94
    • Sep 16 2010

Just wondering on fair price for work

I am looking at having my engine pulled,and replacing the seals.I have a small oil leak,about 5 drops per hour (sitting). What do you think this may cost?
    While the engine is out I would like to get the block painted,and the air cleaner and valve covers powder coated.
    My engine seems to run fine,and I know the leak may not be serious.
    By the way,the car is a 61 T-bird convert.The guys that work on my car charge $40-50/hour,if that helps. The car
    has the original engine and tranny with 50,000 original documented miles.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Jeepers94, if you have experienced mechanics, they are usually much faster than a novice and they know what dangers to avoid. Consequently, $50/hr for 'experienced' turns out to be MUCH cheaper than $30/hr for the guy who may break things while learning your car.

You can usually work with a good mechanic. Why don't YOU paint the engine, while it's out?

But wait, let's back up a bit. How old is your engine (in terms of miles since the last overhaul), and what cubic inch is it? <--VERY important.

Why are you pulling the whole engine for an oil leak? That seems a bit radical, but sometimes (rarely) it is necessary.

How much wrench work can you do?

Depending on your answers, you may have the mechanics pull the engine, wait until you are done with your repairs, then they can stuff it back in.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• redstangbob
      Experienced
      • Feb 18 2011

I'm guess you're not someone interested in doing your own work, believe me, it's not for everyone I take it you have a relationship with this mechanic. Speaking as someone that comes from the trade, $50 and hour is fair......but for how many hours? Unless he has a vintage labor guide he should have a look at your car ( part of the free estimate) do a little homework, and give you a quote on the work. If your engine is truly original it's a 390, get some pictures of the casting dates and the build date stamped in the block. If you get the story about how hard this old stuff is to work on, find someone else! My belief is the FE block should not be a big deal to a good mechanic. That's my view, good luck, Bob C

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Good suggestions guys. Here is my 2 cents.Locate the porblem of the oil leak by taking it to your mechanic and as Dave says it may not be a biggie. IF you want to pull the motor for other reasons ( detailing / paint )that you mentioned get a couple of estimates and know the shop is reliable and has done these types before. I have some buddies here in Calgary that saved $2000 by getting estimates on their 70 Lincoln's engine pulled, engine bay painted and touched up on the valve covers over the winter. They were originally quoted $5000 from some shop that didn't know what they were getting into Better to save money in your pocket
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍