This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Glove Box Light

Some Tbirds DO have a glove box light in them. Alexander's 430 J code Tbird does. Bart's does, and I think some of our other members have mentioned that they do to. I do not recall finding one in mine. It was one of the options listed.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird1958optionalequipment.html ($10)

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird1959optionalequipment.html ($9.50)

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird1960optionalequipment.html ($9.50)

Many of you might have the optional glove compartment light, only you may not have noticed it because it might be burned out. Or... It could be there but has been push into the opening off to the side of the glove box and behind it. You might take out your glove box. You might find you have one! It is not hard to do.

For those of you who do not have one, it is not hard to add. Alexander did the work for us several years ago. Bart fixed his and gave you a beautiful picture of his glove box with light. Alexander gave you the schematic on how to do or fix yours.. You will find it here on Page 1 & 2.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3571&highlight=glove+box+light

Now you can either fix yours or make one! I will put this in the Temporary Technical Resource Library on Fortune City because I do not see it in our TRL.

I have now placed a link to the glove box lite on the Fortune City Temporary Technical Resource Library. You can find it here:

http://squarebirds.fortunecity.com/Technical/master.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message or (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Ray, to the rescue as always.
Keep up the excellent work.

Chris...From the Land of OZ.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

You guys got me going on this one and it suddenly occurred to me that I used to have the wiring harness for a glove box light. So I went digging into my parts box and look what I found! Now I have to manufacture a mounting bracket and do the installation. I assume that the spade connection goes to a prong on the light switch and I should find an unused female bullet on dash lighting harness somewhere around the left side of the speedometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0472.jpg (274.0 KB, 68 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Tinkerer

My glove box did not have a hole for the light to shine through so that complicated things a bit. I can't remember if the original glove box liners had holes for the light or not. I think I remember seeing replacement liners with knock-out holes several years ago but my replacement liner didn't have one. I noticed in both Bart's picture and the schematics that the bracket to hold the light socket was attached to the inside of the liner and went out through the hole that the light is to shine through. I couldn't figure out how to hold the bracket to the liner that way so decided to attach the bracket to the outside of the liner. I made one bracket shaped like an open "V" as shown in the various references. Then I thought it would be more effective if the bulb pointed straight into the hole so I made a bracket more in the shape of a "Z" to hold the bulb over the hole but not in the glove box. The next thing was to cut the hole in the cardboard liner. Bart's picture shows a liner with a nice round hole. I thought the best way to replicate that was to use a wood speed bit with raised edges on the periphery to score the cardboard around the edge of the hole for a clean cut. It didn't work as planned so now I had a jagged hole. I thought about what to do with this for a while and eventually thought of a grommet. I went to an awning maker and he had an appropriate sized grommet and he lent me his staking tool. It took a bit of time to geteverything positioned correctly but then a couple of strikes and it was firmly in place. Now I have a nice round hole for the light to shine through. The next step is to instal the switch and then connect the wiring harness - maybe tomorrow if it is still raining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brackets 640px.jpg (52.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg grommet 640px.jpg (54.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg grommet with bulb from inside glovebox 640px.jpg (57.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg bracket, grommet and wiring harness 640px.jpg (68.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Howard Prout : 04-20-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: additions
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Tinkerer

I am trying to sort out the issue of the glove box light option. I see it on the list of options for all years and my 1949-1959 MPC has a diagram (dated 1-64!) showing the wiring harness, etc. However, the dash frame on my '59 does not have a hole for the switch. It seems strange that it could be a factory option without the mounting hole already in the dash frame. This would mean that the assembly workers would have to drill the mounting hole as required - seems doubtful. But it could have been a dealer installed option. Did it become a factory option for the 1960 model year? Do the dash frames for the '60s have the hole for the switch? The reference sheet provided by Alexander includes the location dimensions for the switch and a notation "ADD 7/16" DIA. HOLE" suggesting a dealer installation - but was this required for all years or just the 58s and 59s? The location dimensions also seem a bit odd - 3.44" above the bottom of the glove box and .36" in from the edge - these are levels of precision beyond the capabilities of most mechanics. That same diagram shows a hole for the mounting screw suggesting that there was an sheet metal screw speed nut imbedded in the side of the liner. Bart's picture clearly shows a seperate screw. The diagram also gives the dimensions for the peep hole with the instruction "ADD 1" DIA. HOLE". The installation instructions include the note "EXISTING SCREW" implying that the screw used to attach the bracket came with the glove box liner. How can such a minor item create so many questions?

Last edited by Howard Prout : 04-21-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Default Glove Box Light

Thanks for posting the information on the glove box light and how you did it. It would be interesting to know how many Squarebird owners have the hole for the switch pre-drilled on their Bird. I will look at mine when I get to her again and look. I suspect that the hole was not drilled on the line, since it was an option. Unless one had a Special Order car that was having numerous options added to it. Perhaps they did it then.

I suspect that many of these options were added at the Ford dealerships and they did the necessary drilling for the switch. I have a call in to Bart to find out if he had to drill the hole or not. I think he did. Bart has a '60. How many of you '60 owners have a pre-drilled hole for that switch in your glove box? It would also be good to know if someone has an original glove box if there is a sheet metal screw speed nut embedded in the side of their glove box liner... I think Bart had to add the screw. And does your original glove box, if you have one, already have the 1" peep hole in it?? Interesting questions?

I am re-reading the post on the "glove box light"

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...love+box+light

started by Bart. He had the bulb, but his glove box liner had been replaced and the bulb was just hanging there. The holder was gone, I guess. Then Alexander posted the picture of his glove box light and the somewhat L shaped metal bracket the light clipped into, and the little on/off push button.

Then tbirdtom, who owns a '60 said.. My car had a glove box light when I bought it. The glove box cardboard has a round hole in it for the light to shine through. The bracket attaches to one of the screws that holds the box trim. The bracket and bulb are behind the box and you can only see the bulb through the hole.

Then Alexander added the schematic showing the position of the on/off button, the L clip, wiring, et all. And Bart posted his picture showing where he put the on/off button, and the location of the L bracket, on the INSIDE of the liner, not the back side of it. If you look closely at the schematic Alexander posted you will see that Ford had the bracket mounted EXACTLY like Bart did it. The schematic shows the bracket going THROUGH the hole and being mounted on the inside...

Now, can we get some answers to the questions above? Does your Squarebird have the glove box light? If not, is there a hole drilled in that piller for the switch? Does your glove box liner, if original, have the 1" hole in it for the light?

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default Glove box light

Yep, Christine has the hole there and of course the light, switch and wiring are gone.
Go figure, the guy that owned her before me took everything else that you could not see. So why not take glove box light to. I'm not surprised!!!
Registry #33436
Old 04-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Glove Box Light

Hi Richard!

Thanks for letting me know that Christine had the hole pre-drilled, just no light and wiring. I talked with Bart and his '60 430 also had the hole pre-drilled. His wiring was all there, but he had to redo his liner. The question still remains as to who was doing the drilling and installation of these optional items, like the glove box light and the trunk light, the line or the dealership. Both are listed by Automotive Mile Posts as being optional equipment. In fact, they are mentioned together for $9.50 as I recall. The front and rear ash trays are listed as standard equipment, but nothing is said about their lights.

I put the question as to who or when optional items were added to our cars to Phil Skinner. Was it during the productions run or at the dealership? Or a combination of both? I will let you know what he has to say about that.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-21-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

I have an original cardboard liner out of a 1960 hardtop that did not have a glove box light installed. There is no partially pre-punched spot for the light hole or any marks on the liner to show where the hole would be.

Vern
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Glove Box Light

Thanks Vernz, for the input. Well it seems that some had the hole for the on/off switch, and some didn't. Some had the liner pre-punched and some didn't. Some had the glove box light installed at the factory, and some didn't! Here is what Phil Skinner has to say about this.

Years ago I scored an original Edsel electrical installation manual. I imagine the basic game plan was the same throughout Ford Motor Company.

The book was divided into three basic sections, Electrical equipment-required; Electrical equipment-accessory-factory installed; Electrical equipment-accessory-dealer installed. Obviously the first section dealt with the basic wiring, headlights, brakes lights, gauges, turn signals, etc. The second section covered the more commonly installed items such as heater-defroster, radio, clock, power windows, power seats, etc. But it also covered such items as under-hood lights, glove box lights, trunk lights, and for the Edsel accessory warning lights for door ajar, low fuel, low oil, and speed warning. (It also had several items that were planned for production but never approved like auto-restart, headlight-on warning buzzer, inside-outside thermometer, etc.).

The third section detailed the installation of many of these same items as to be performed at the dealership level. These often included templates for drilling holes and detailed instruction for running the wiring for items like back-up lights, rear seat speakers, and spot lights.

Now some items, mostly dress-up parts like upgraded wheel covers, outside rear view mirrors, bumper guards, rocker moldings, etc. they were almost 100% exclusive to dealer installation.

Air conditioning was an animal all to itself. I know the T-bird had only a “factory air” set-up, but Edsel had two versions, Dial-Temp Factory Air conditioning and Polaraire which was a cooling system independent of the heater-defroster. This book goes into detail the factory installation of the Dial-Temp, but also gives a how-to for the dealer. The term “improvise locally” seems to be used rather regularly.

I hope this kind of answers the questions. In summing up, electrical accessories could be installed for the most part at the factory or at the dealership. Dress-up items were almost always done at the dealership.

Phil Skinner

"It's Hip To Be Square"