This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Back Up Light Question

Tony, from down under has this question regarding Squarebird back up lights.

"the reverse lights on my 1959 Thunderbird, do they only come on when the headlamps are on?

i have checked my circuits and all appears correct

Is this right?"

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message or (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

yes this is correct, reverse lights only come on when the headlamps are on.
Probably they figured that back-up lights are like headlamps for the back, to see where you are going instead of warning other people that you are reversing. So if headlights are off than you do not need the back-up lamp either.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 07-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yep! Odd as it seems by today's standard, Ford only had a 30-amp generator in Squarebirds. Consequently, the manufacturer tried to conserve as much power as they could:

The backup lights are fed from the "A" terminal on your headlight switch. It energizes when the handle is pulled out in either 1st or 2nd position. In addition, the column must be in Reverse for the lights to shine.

Parking lights (in front) only shine with the headlight switch in the 1st position. When advanced to the 2nd position, the parking lights GO OUT, and the headlights shine.

These are factory settings. Today's cars keep the parking lights on while the headlights shine in case a headlight burns out. This allows the parking lights to show both front end corners, for on-coming traffic. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Experienced

59thunder is on a distinguished road
Default back up lights

Thanks guys, i had been a little worried about my wiring but it all looks good

So if i want my reverse lights to come on with or without the headlamps what circuit should i pick up.... Hot to run from where?

Thanks all and thanks Ray for posting this

Tony
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Slow Typist

Take the feed wire off of 'A' (on the headlight switch) and connect it to the feed wire on your flasher unit.
That wire is fuse protected and comes on with your ignition switch. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 AM
Experienced

djberson is on a distinguished road

Thank goodness for this site, especially since the owner's manual for the Squarebird is as useless as possible! I have thought my backup lights were either a deleted option, or were simply broken until I noticed their reflection in the car behind me tonight. I came online to see if there was a post about this, and sure enough.... Another thing I just realized after more than a year of Squarebird ownership (and correct me if I am mistaken) ... this car has no hazard flashers??
Old 09-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Back Up Light Question

Hi Jordan, if our Squarebirds have any flashing hazards lights I certainly have not found mine yet!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message or (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Slow Typist

Jordan, keep in mind that we are familiar with the way things work, today. To get here, the auto industry has undergone changes initiated by insurance companies, the federal government and customer concerns.

Squarebirds were engineered before seatbelts, emergency flashers, 'headlights are left on' buzzers, fuel low indicators, FM radio, stereo, etc.

Books from back then could not possibly describe differences in changes from then to now. Unless you are old enough to remember those old functions and features, many of them will surprise you.

To me (I am not a Purist) safety rules supreme. I believe many 'upgrades' must be performed before loading your family in your classic car and driving it on roads shared with modern cars.

It's not from lack of regard but young whippersnappers have no clue about the limitations and safe distances required by heavy Squarebirds. In fact, most drivers never drove a car with front drum brakes. Amazing, eh? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road

I was at an event a couple weeks back where a gentleman had a drop dead gorgeous blue 60 convertible. Everything was cosmetically right on. It is all original design, no safety upgrades. I said, "you still have drums on the front and the single circuit master cylinder?" He said yes and I complimented him on his bravery. As one who has made those upgrades, I can say with certainty that I would never go back, and I would do the same with any other old car project (though another project is about as likely as porcine aviation).
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Pinball Larry

lnoska is on a distinguished road
Default backup light Question

I found that to be true about the backup light, the voltage does go through the head light switch. I found that out when installing LED bulbs in the backup light sockets. The modification Dave mentioned moving the backup light feed wire is a good idea.

This winters T Bird project is installing disc brakes on my 1960 HT. I will have lots and lots questions. The guys on this form are the greatest. With out your help I would not take this project on. Thank you Thank you.
Thunderbird Redistry #39303