X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Sold A Car, Bought A Car

Thanks to everyone for helping me resolve all my issues with my 1959 hardtop. I've learned so much from the people here! I decided that since I can't do any of the work myself I would sell my 59 to someone who is more handy. Which I did! The car is now on its way to England to be perfected by someone more handy than I! I will miss this car.

Simultaneously, my love for the Tbirds are strong, so I had been working on finding a replacement. The money I made selling my hardtop, with a whole bunch of money on top of that, has allowed me to buy another bird. And I'm gonna have a whole new slew of questions on this one, but feel more capable of dealing with whatever arises through my experience with the last one.

I found myself a custom 1960 convertible, custom painted Indian Turquoise (color only offered in 1959). Has a 1959 front grill I prefer to the 60, but the 1960 tail I love. You'll notice that all trim has been removed. I plan on adding trim and emblems most likely. Also, the door handles (inside and outside) are gone. The car opens electronically using key fob. Has a pin hole where lock usually is so it can be opened with a wire if the battery dies. The curve on the door redesigned a bit more forward than usual. It's different, and purists may not like it. C6 transmission, electronic starter. Adjustable air suspension. Would like to know what people think.

Will be creating some future posts seeking advice on some of its quirks.
    Attached Files
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sold A Car, Bought A Car

Congratulations, Kirsten! The buyer in England knows the rust issues on that Tbird, and apparently, intends to fix them. He ordered parts he will need and sent them to Kirsten. She put them in the car before it shipped.

Armed with information she gained from us on this Forum, regarding where and how to look for rust issues, and for other problems, she visited the out of State owner a couple of times to view and check out the underside of the car. Apparently, there were no rust issues found, so she bought it and drove it home without any problems. It is a customized '60 Squarebird with a good number of bells and whistles on it, as she has indicated. Including a modern Bluetooth type monitor with AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB (I think) instead of a radio you can see in the pix. Here is a pic of that below... I think it has electric wipers (not sure) and a windshield washer). She has been able to find a place to put the Tbird in out of the weather.

I have just updated it for her in the Tbird Registry. The update will show once John Rotella does his next updates... It is RN #31471.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; October 18, 2018, 02:16 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

Congratulations Kirsten on both the sale & purchase. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more pix on your new acquisition.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sold A Car, Bought A Car

Hi Chris, I am in the process of downsizing the pix Kirsten sent me and will put them up on Our Rides shortly for all to see. One thing you should notice is that a previous owner re-designed that curl on the doors during the customization of this Tbird. Instead of coming to an end towards where the door meets the rear fender, someone curled in to where the ending is closer to the spear point. You will see what I mean when you see the door pix... Take a look at the pic of the door on her '59 going up the flat bed wrecker for transportation to the port for shipment, and the next pic of the '60 Squarebird door beneath it! Another thing that is different about it, is that it does NOT have that space age '60 Convertible top. A PO put the 1959 manual top in it, so I am told.
        Last edited by YellowRose; October 18, 2018, 08:55 PM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Kirsten look at you go girl
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• ssj335
            Experienced
            • Jul 13 2018

Thank you!

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Nice car

I wonder how they did the door treatment, it's actually kinda cool.

Comment

• sidewalkman
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 14 2015

Way better option, that's a beautiful ride!
                Scott
                South Delta, BC, Canada
                1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                Red Leather Interior!
                www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                Thunderbird Registry #61266
                http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. =)

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sold A Car, Bought A Car

Kirsten visited her Convertible yesterday, and after putting the battery cable back on, it kicked right over. She ran the engine for about 30 minutes, while checking various things on it. She cycled the top up and down, and it is working fine. She found that the emergency brake is not working and that needs to be checked out this weekend. She also found that it has an aftermarket Weber carb on it, but she did not see any indication of a model. She will look closer next time and see if she can tell me the model number. She also needs to pull that aftermarket air cleaner off and find out if it is a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel carb. It looks kind of small to me to be a 4bbl. She has no idea what it's rating is, though it should be a 600CFM unit, but it might not be. A model # should tell us. She said the car idled well, and the temp gauge is working, though it might need to be adjusted because it does not show very high on the gauge. The PO said he had installed a 4 row aftermarket radiator on it. Here is a pic of that Weber carb she sent me.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ssj335
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 13 2018

Thank you. Yes I would like to know what his carb is. I think Weber and Edelbrock are related? I wasn't looking for model number at the time. In one of my photos I can see the number 8867 on top but when I remove the air cleaner I should see more hopefully.

Oh I was also able to remove the speaker cover grate (the one the PO build "cup holders" into) and replaced it with a stock grate in the same color. Success!

Tested headlights, signals, tail lights, dash lights. All working. Need to remember to test brights. Light in the ash tray doesn't appear to functioning. Not a big deal.

Comment

• newyear
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 4 2005

Lovely car-Especially like the 59 grille and 60 rear light setup.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
                          ...She also needs to pull that aftermarket air cleaner off and find out if it is a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel carb...
                          A 4-barrel will have two shafts, one for primary and the other for secondary.

This carb only has one shaft. It's a 2-barrel.

There is nothing wrong with a 2-barrel carb. I have had 389 Pontiacs with a 2-barrel and they work just fine. Some people switch to a 2-barrel to save gas.

Evidently, Kirsten's car has an aftermarket intake manifold and carb. Whoever made this change also spent money on it. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's an Edelbrock four barrel carb. Probably a 1406. They all have Weber on the case. It has two shafts. The way it's made it looks like one shaft. The front shaft is behind the accelerator. Here's a picture of mine. As you can see they're pretty much the same. If you look at the front base it will tell you what model it is.

John
                            Attached Files
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• ssj335
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 13 2018

Thanks John! And to everyone trying to help figure this out. I will look at the front base next time. I'm glad it's a good one from the sounds of it. =)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎