X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

My dad's orders for 1950 & '54 Ford cars

I was going through ancient family papers and I found this paper trail from Dec. 1949, a year before I was born (in Chicago). Dad was 38 yrs-old when he bought his first new car, a 1950 Ford Custom Tudor:

It appears he traded-in a 1937 Pontiac. I know he bought this car 'used' and it couldn't have been 'much' at $225.

Dad's writing flags out 'ignition' and 'trunk' but I have no idea, why. Dad wasn't one to buy any options but I see a forced air heater and undercoating. I don't know what 'Group B Accessories are. Nowhere does it mention a flathead V-8.

52 months later, Dad traded this car for another new Ford from the same dealer but at a different address:

I remember this car very well, it's the one Mom learned how to drive. I'm the last of five so a 9-passenger station wagon makes sense. I know he bought this off the dealer's showroom floor.

It's a Country Sedan, Mileage Maker Six w/standard column shift. Again, he liked a forced air heater and undercoating but this also had manual trans with OVERDRIVE. No PS, no PB, no carpet. The rest was bare bones for $2,600 out the door. Where's the tax and destination charge? Where are the documentation, title, registration and financing fees? Nope, none of the above. Dad used cash and a driver's license wasn't a requirement. Dealerships taught countless buyers how to drive. Driver's Education was non-existent.

So I figured out, Dad lost $802 over 4-yrs., & 4-months. That's about $15 per month. He got $927 for the '50 but probably could have done better selling the car on his own. This is odd to me because my Dad was a salesman. He NEVER sold a car, 'by owner'.

The trade-in tells more about the 1950 Custom V-8 than the original order. That would be a neat car to have today. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

• YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My dad's orders for 1950 & '54 Ford cars

Dave, what a terrific find and a neat bit of history on your Dad's cars. That is really something special to have found!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dave now that is way too cool. Especially that it brings back some early memories
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Nice !!!!

I've got tons of maintenance stuff on the Tbird from way back but no bill of sale or window sticker - rats.

Yea - having a 50 Ford flathead V8 would be fun.
        Alexanders friend that I met at a Cruise-in in Stanley NC a few years back was either driving or riding in one - an extremely nice one.

Maybe the reason for the trade even at a loss was because "Mom" needed a family car - (aka - it was your fault)

Think those were the numbers stamped on the keys and he just identified them so that if he needed to replace one he would know "which was which"?

Thanks Dave...

Eric

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎