This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I'm going to need that 600HP crate 460 from carsbycarl.com before we ever decide to race each other.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road
Default Dyno Day Tomorrow!!

I had asked two different guys in town to help me finish the nitrous install but their actions contradicted their words. I was not confident about wiring it up but after a few weeks it became apparent that I was going to have to figure it out. I think I have everything done right and my tests so far have been successful. Tonight I installed a purge solenoid with the 1/4" tube poking up where the drivers side windshield washer used to be. Seeing that work was quite gratifying. I'm charging my video camera now. I'll have numbers tomorrow. My camera is old (not youtube ready) so it will be a while before the video gets posted but it will get posted. Thanks again to (in no particular order) Greg, Dave, Jopizz, Carl, Ray and everyone who has helped me get to this point.

Rick
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Experienced

Default Dyno Day Is A Bust

I got a hole cut in my H-pipe for an air/fuel mixture sensor to go in during the testing and tuning. They strapped the car down and started it up. He pulled it up to 5200 rpm (which I missed recording) and got a pretty flat torque curve just below 300ft/lb. Rear wheel HP was 275 and still climbing. We were talking about the nitrous and decided not to use it till I got smaller jets(I realized I had a 100HP shot installed and I want to start out more like 50) and possibly a controller to take timing out during nitrous use. We never got to tuning though because on the next pull the rollers started loading up before they were supposed to indicating failure of one or more of the coils (it's a mustang brand dyno) that provide the electromagnetic resistance. He said "I'm sorry, we're done. I'll call you when I get the dyno back online." He did say that the air/fuel mix looked pretty good as it was.
No charge. Meanwhile, I still have plenty of interior work to do.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Yeah, but what does your own internal "dyno" tell you?

Does the car feel and sound fast?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Experienced

It sounds great. I put about twenty feet of rubber in front of my house (my son Kevin got that on video) and that was cool. The line lock doesn't hold the car as much as I thought it would. I was pressing the pedal pretty hard when I engaged it. That has me thinking about upgrades to the rotors/calipers/pads but I have no braking issues with normal driving-just always thinking bigger better you know the routine.
I certainly believe that it can use the nitrous. Don't know if my expectations are too high but it doesn't really push me into the seat like I'm looking for on the motor alone. I bought a set of 50HP jets and I'll put them in soon as I get 'em. Also I learned that lower bottle pressure equals less HP so I can ease that off, too. I still have to learn more about timing and air/fuel ratio. I have read that running lean is suicide but I don't yet know how to control that. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Super-Experienced

Try pressing the brake, then hold the line-lock button, and pump the brake pedal one more time and release (keep the line-lock button pressed). What happens is a bit more fluid pushes past the lock, but cant get back out.

A line-lock wont hold the car back for too long on dry surfaces, but it'll hold forever on wet concrete. Ask me how I know this...

Their main purpose is to keep a car in the burnout box at the strip, not really as a "launch-control" device.

Is your rear diff open, or limited slip/trac-loc/posi-trac/whatever-whatchmacallit?
I have a Detroit Locker in my center section.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Experienced

Thanks for the tip. I have a posi. It seems to work pretty well judging by the marks left on the pavement and it makes strange noises sometimes when I'm in reverse and turning. I bought a cheap little usb camera to put under the car while I'm driving to see how the suspension is moving and stuff. Haven't recorded much data yet. Pretty sure the clanking sounds in the back are my Cal Trac whachamajiggies slapping the leaf springs. Got my 50HP fuel jet today. N2O jet is on the way. So close. I read that using race gas reduces the need to retard the timing when spraying. I can do that.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Super-Experienced

Have you seen that MSD makes a little gadget with a dial on it for adjusting timing from the driver's seat? I'm pretty sure you have to use it in conjunction with one of thier ignition boxes though.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Experienced

Yes I was looking at that today. I have a 6AL in the car so it's a viable option. I also saw the msd digital 6 that has that feature(and others) built in. Also looked at window switch but I don't think I need that. If I want to turn the nitrous off near the top end I can just turn off the arming switch in the ashtray and that will kill the WOT switch and the electric fuel pump simultaneously.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Experienced

Well I got my 50HP jets installed, put in some race gas and finally hit the N2O. The first attempt was on a freeway on ramp. I thought I could tell the difference but it wasn't overwhelming. Perhaps the fuel line wasn't full. I hit it a couple more times going about 65-70mph in third gear. About the same. Then on the street I coasted down to first and tried again. This time I heard the pitch of the motor go up about a major third at the onset, still in first gear. I don't know what the rpm jump was, I'll keep one eye on the tach next time. My one second delay helps me know when it hits. It was as if the throttle opened up a bit more even though my foot was all the way down. I don't think I'm going to fear the 100HP jets. Maybe there are other things to do but other than not knowing exactly what my timing is doing I think everything is where it's supposed to be.