No announcement yet.

Dash board question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash board question

After many aggrevating hours and some blood,I thought I had finally finished my dash pad replacement.But of course this is not the case,as I was putting the trim pieces back on I realized I had forgotten to secure the metal dashboard to the fire wall,just under the windshield.There is about a 1/2 gap there.Can anyone tell me what all I need to loosen in order to secure it properly.(sure am glad I'm not a hemophiliac)
  • wickdogg
    • Sep 16 2007

Dash Pad and Blood. (Warning Graphic Finger Ahead!)

I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to dash replacement and BLOOD! I was cutting out the A/C vent hole in my new pad when the blade was not cutting very well. I put a brand new blade in the knife. The thing cut like butter and when the dash collapsed I caught my left ring finger with the blade. Didn't feel anything at first but I knew I did something bad. I bled a lot and I told the wife to take me to the ER. When I got there I got 6 or 7 stitches in my finger. I cut it from the tip all the way down the side of my fingernail. Looked like a banana. Well enough of my story. I posted a pic if you can stand it. I don't remember exactly which bolts free up the dash, but I do remember I did the same thing. LOL. I just loosened up as much as possible and started the top bolts. Sounds like you and I had a similar fight with the dash. Good Luck with the install.

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

Where are all the bolts that secure the metal dash board? I removed the six along the windshield base, and two each in the lower left and lower right corners. Appears to be two more at the steering column mount, are there more?
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

The six along the windshield base are the ones I forgot to replace.I believe there are detailed instrucions on the tech pages.I know there are 2 bolts right next to the bolts that hold the under dash trim pieces.And if I remember right there are 4 bolts around the under side of the steering column.
        Do you happen to know what size the 6 screws are that go along the windshield base??

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

I'll look tonight to see if I can identify them and post tomorrow.
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• GTE427
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 9 2007

Just read the tech page, I was so close. I was losing daylight and the weather was changing, so I moved away from the dash to get other parts off this Tbird before it went for scrap this morning. I pulled all wire harnesses except one window motor harness from this car.

Having the harnesses as a visual aid and for future reference seemed like a valuable tool. Some of the connectors have been cut, but everything is now tagged.
            Ken
            1959 J Convertible
            1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Thanks Ken I appreciate it

Comment

• GTE427
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 9 2007

The dash on this 1960 car was out once before, but the bolts looked original to the dash as the heads were painted black which matched the metal dash. One was missing and I dropped a second. The bolts are called 'Screw-Self Tapping (Hex Washer Head )', measurements 5/8" long, outer dia of threads 3/16", bolt head 5/16", D on the bolt head.

Hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                Ken
                1959 J Convertible
                1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Thanks much Ken I found 5 of them in my "leftover nut and bolt tin"

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by wickdogg
                    I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to dash replacement and BLOOD! I was cutting out the A/C vent hole in my new pad when the blade was not cutting very well. I put a brand new blade in the knife. The thing cut like butter and when the dash collapsed I caught my left ring finger with the blade. Didn't feel anything at first but I knew I did something bad. I bled a lot and I told the wife to take me to the ER. When I got there I got 6 or 7 stitches in my finger. I cut it from the tip all the way down the side of my fingernail. Looked like a banana. Well enough of my story. I posted a pic if you can stand it. I don't remember exactly which bolts free up the dash, but I do remember I did the same thing. LOL. I just loosened up as much as possible and started the top bolts. Sounds like you and I had a similar fight with the dash. Good Luck with the install.

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

My dash pad is hand made. Years (decades) ago, when repro's were not avai, my dad had one made. It's close. It has stitching on the edges. Hard to explain. I'll post pics sometime.
                      I kind of like it though. It's prob 35 years old and still looks new. There are a few goofy things about this car that make it different. I'll prob never change it.
                      Another goofy one is the panel above the back seat has two holes in it about the size of a quarter. They are (were) for the child seat my parents had (for me) when I was little. Yep, prob pretty strange sounding. I'm sure I'll get docked when I show it in concours. BAA HA HA HA !!! Like that'll ever happen. Maybe modified class or something.

I think a tri-power would look pretty good when I open the hood. Too bad they're so hard to tune. But bada-- looking !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎