X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Need measurement from Tranny Dipstick

I have a 60 with Cruise-O-Matic. There is a possibility that I have the wrong dipstick.

Can someone with a Cruise-O-Matic tell me the distance from the "Top of the Stop Cap" to the "Full Mark".

I can't be sure unless I can get that measurement.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • LuckyJay
    • Jan 4 2007

I have a 60 Hardtop with a 352 and Cruise-o-matic. I measured from the F mark to the most exterior part of the end cap at 20.5 inches so the inside of the endcap would just a shade less. Also, the distance from the F mark to the L mark is 1.5 inches. There are a couple of slight s bends in the end up by the handle to make it fit tight in the fill tube.

Does that help?

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Wildcat15:

It helps a BUNCH !!!!!!

Mine is 20.5" exactly to the full mark.

The odd thing is that the distance on mine from the F to L mark is 1.25" not 1.5". Are you sure about that one?

But the distance to the full mark is what counts, and that's right on the money.

Thanks for the quick reply back. Hope that I can help you sometime.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• LuckyJay
        • Jan 4 2007

Yep, Sure about the 1.5 inches. Measured twice!

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Well, that's a mystery.

I have a 430, but I assume that the C-O-M trannys for 352 and 430 are the same, with the same pan and amount of fluid. I wonder if for some reason they put a different C-O-M in a 430. Would need someone with a 430 and C-O-M to know for sure. Anybody??
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

It's different. The main case is larger. Allot of the internals are the same as is the pan & possibly the tail shaft.

I believe that 430's use the case that the larger 390 & 428 pwr'd Mercs of the mid 60's ran. My 60 is equipped w/this.
            We ground this topic into mulch last time around.
            Next time she's in the air (on a hoist) I'll get some pics and post em.

Those dipstick measurements are deadnuts on too.

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

John:

What I don't understand, even after searching the old posts, is this. Why would the cap to full length be the same on the 352 and 430, and yet the full to low be different? It would have to be the pans -- you think?

I'm still worried that this might be the wrong dipstick. I want to be sure that I'm full, when it says so. I have no background info on my bird.
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

If that is the same lenght don't worry. They all had cruise O that 's just a lincoln trans.Better low than to much.

Comment

• bcomo
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 23 2005

You're very right -- better a little low than overfilled.

I'm going to get all of the numbers off of the trans, because I'd like to change the fluid and screen (somewhere there is a post on Transmission ID if I remember correctly)

Is there any special advice on changing the fluid and screen? I didn't plan to drain the convertor, but If it's better to do that, I'll give it my best shot.

The fluid looks and smells good, but I don't know when it was changed last. The car is not a daily driver, but it will give me peace of mind to know that it was done -- if I don't mess it up.
                  Bart
                  1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎