X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Mechanical brake light switch

Has anyone converted their 61-63 to a mechanical brake light switch? Pictures? I still have the original Ford script pressure switch on my 63SR and I'm thinking about changing, but I don't need to reinvent the wheel either so I am looking for a neat simple way to mount the switch. Thanks in advance! J
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Mechanical brake light switch

Hi Joe, I am hoping that someone will come along and see your post and answer it. Hopefully, someone will. I am interested in seeing what might be said about this also...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Yes, I converted mine and I'm glad I did. ALL modern cars use a mechanical switch, not a pressure switch because it is more accurate and more reliable.

I did mine when I was converting Robin's '59 to an automatic shift. I had the brake pedal support out of the car. You can mount a switch by simply making a bracket and drilling two small holes.

I am cheap by nature but I demand tried and proven parts for important functions like brake lights. I had an old computer mouse that I robbed the switches out of. They are certainly reliable and cheap. The mouse switch turns a relay coil on. That means NONE of the brake light current passes through the new brake pedal switch (mouse switch). The relay is a common automotive relay found in nearly all modern cars and in auto parts stores, everywhere. Why? Because the relay will safely carry 40 amps and it only cost three bucks. This is great for folks who add lots of brake lights. If you also add more turn signal lights, like for a trailer, I suggest you install two more relays (one for LH and one for RH lights). Now we're up to nine bucks but we saved our turn signal switch in the steering column from burning out and the flasher unit is not affected at all.

Here is a site I made with some wiring suggestions for you. Many components can be substituted very successfully.

CLICK HERE

I hope this helps and I invite your questions. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

Dave - Thank you very much for the info and pictures. I like the simplicity of your switch mounting to make contact with the pedal. I know I have some similar switches - but I am still finding things after moving 18 months ago. Just now getting around to doing some work on the cars. Thanks again! J

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

Bracket

I tried a couple of switches I have and made a test bracket using a Ford F150 switch. Next I want to try a square shaped switch which will allow the bracket to be shorter and may align a little better. Then I will make a choice and a mounting bracket from 1/8" stock. Glad mounting this way does not interfere with the swing away column.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

Both switches worked well but I decided to go with a square switch I had because the bracket was more compact and the metal plunger would align easier for me. There are no cut or spliced wires anywhere on this car, so I didn't cut into the harness under the dash, but ran the wires through the firewall and connected to the existing plug. The swing away steering column made things a lot easier!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎