• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lexdownunder
    Apprentice
    • Sep 7 2010

Heater Control

Hi Guys
    The heater control arm (cooler/warmer) in the console appears to be jammed in the warmer position. It has always been quite stiff to operate but as it is winter here in Australia, I have left it in the warmer position for the past two months. When I attempted to shift it to the off position yesterday it would not move at all. I don't want to apply too much pressure as it may be detrimental to the controls/cable etc.
    My question is: where exactly is the tap assembly located & how do I get to it so I can check what the problem is???
    I have a 59 H/T with a/c. I see where the heater pipes go through the firewall so I'm assuming the tap is somewhere under the dash.

Thanks Guys
    Lex
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

I believe the control you are talking about has 2 cables attached to the warmer/off/cooler lever. One cable goes to the thermostatic switch, for the AC, located on top of the housing for the evaporator core. The second cable goes to a thermostatic valve attached to the heater core body. This only applies if you still have the original design of the heater core. In order to expose the control, you need to remove the inside cover of the heater core housing, located behind the glove box. All of the newer designs get rid of this valve, located at the heater core, and have you place a replacement water valve in the heater hose located in the engine compartment. This valve is purchased separately and comes with a new cable which is longer than the original.
    Your problem could be binding cables, a bad AC thermostatic switch or or a frozen thermostatic valve on the heater core. If I had to guess, if you still have the old style valve at the heater core, it is probably frozen in position or really binding badly.
    If anyone has a good diagram for the cables on the AC system, it would be great to post it. I found one on an old factory instruction to install AC in a non AC car, but the quality of the pictures are really bad
    Nyles

Comment

• lexdownunder
      Apprentice
      • Sep 7 2010

Thanks for the info Nyles. Yes, I still have the original heater valve at the core. I'm going to change to the "in line" water valve in the heater hose located in the engine compartment.
      Can you advise please if the replacement valve is available through Thunderbird parts suppliers!!! I have dealt with Larrys & Rock Auto for parts in the past.
      Could you advise the part number for the valve & part number for the cable please??
      Cheers
      Lex

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Lex:
        Larry's has the heater core valve kit listed as B18495A for $75.95. I believe this is the valve and also new longer cable required.
        If your old heater core valve is frozen in the closed position, this will not help you unless you can open the valve. The original valves are bolted to the body of the heater core with a rubber gasket used as a seal.
        If you can open the original valve and there is no leak, then an inline valve could be used to shut off the hot coolant to the heater core for maximum AC cooling.
        Good Luck
        Nyles

Comment

• lexdownunder
          Apprentice
          • Sep 7 2010

Thank you Nyles. My existing heater core valve is luckily in the open position & not leaking so should be a straight forward installation with the new valve & cable.

Thanks again
          Lex

Comment

• lexdownunder
            Apprentice
            • Sep 7 2010

Yesterday I had some time to spare so I removed the passenger side of the centre console under the dash. From there I can see one cable on the passenger side of the warmer/off/cooler lever. When I move the warmer/off/cooler lever to the warmer position, the cable moves inwards (ie. the inner cable moves into the outer cable). The warmer/off/cooler lever comes to a stop when only approx half way to the right. It appears that the base plate that has the cable attached moves but then makes contact with the fixed base of the assembly.
            Sorry, I appear to be rambling here but it's a little awkward to explain.

I haven't removed the console side on the drivers side yet to take a look.

Is the cable I am looking at on the passenger side of the warmer/off/cooler lever go to the A/C or to the thermostatic valve attached to the heater core body?????

Thanks guys
            Lex

Comment

• lexdownunder
              Apprentice
              • Sep 7 2010

I found this on an old thread from 2006.

"A/C cable connections
              I'm trying to sort out the cable routing for my SelectAire system. I'm short a cable or two, but I believe this is the correct routing:

1. A/C pull cable connects to flapper door in fiberglass A/C box.

2. Heater pull cable connects to cowl air inlet flapper door.

3. "Cooler" cable (right side) connects to thermostatic A/C switch, mounted on fiberglass A/C box.

4. "Warmer" cable (left side) connects to heater control valve at heater core.

5. Defrost cable connects to defrost flapper door."

Can anyone verify that these cable descriptions are correct please??
              I am mainly concerned with the description of 3 & 4 above.
              With 4 above, is it correct that for "warmer" the control arm is moved to the right but the cable is connected to the left side internally??

Hope this makes sense.
              Thanks guys
              Lex

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Lex:
                Here is a link to our TRL that has instructions on how to install factory air conditioning in a 1960. If you look on sheet 6 of 13, it shows some of the cable routings. I think the 2 cables that are not shown are the heater control valve and defroster cable. These 2 cables are pretty obvious when you look at the system. Maybe some of the veterans here have a better copy of the install manual and could repost. The pictures could be a little clearer.
                I did download the pictures to my computer so I could rotate and enlarge them. That helps.

Here is the link to the TRL: http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...stallation.htm
                Nyles

Comment

• lexdownunder
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 7 2010

Thanks Nyles.
                  Like you, I downloaded the pictures to my computer & rotated & enlarged them. It did help although not very clear when enlarged but any help is greatly appreciated.
                  Cheers
                  Lex

Comment

• lexdownunder
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 7 2010

Hi Guys

Had a bit of luck yesterday with the heater control.
                    I had the heater console removed so was able to apply a little more pressure to the cable going to the heater core. After working it on & off a few times it freed up considerably & is now working correctly. Heater is turning on & off & no leaking.

I was at the point of ordering a new heater core valve & cable to mount in line under the hood but will see how the existing valve performs in the next few months.
                    Anyway, for the time being, the heater is working correctly.

You can be lucky sometimes.
                    Thanks to all for the advice you gave when I first posted this thread.

Cheers
                    Lex

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Heater Control

Lex I am glad to hear that you seem to have fixed the heater control cable. That is good news!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                        Experienced
                        • Dec 9 2014

Information on how to temove a heater core offf a 59 bird

Hi alll is there someone who can tel me
                        How can i remove the heater core
                        Off my 59 t bird ? I also would like to know
                        Where the pipes that are connected to the core
                        Come from, as i have 1 blocked with q bolt and
                        Can figure out where is the other 1. Situated :s

Thanks a lot

Geoffrey

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Heater Control

Welcome to the Forum, Geoffrey! I just came back to the computer a bit ago and saw your application and processed it. We are glad to have our first member from Malta on the Forum!

Unfortunately, I do not know much about removing the heater core from my '59 Tbird. I would suggest, if you have not done so yet, to read down through this thread and you might find some information there. Here is a link to the 1958 (which should also apply to the '59 & '60) Squarebird regarding the AC system and heater controls. It might be a help to you.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...stallation.htm

Hopefully, one of our more technically inclined members is still awake and can help you. If not right now, hopefully, one will come along in the morning here, and answer your questions. We do have some of the greatest Tbird techies on here, but many of them have probably gone to bed by now.. If you cant find what you are looking for in this thread below this, check the link above, from the Technical Resource Library and see if that helps. Otherwise, check later in the day when someone has been able to come along and address your questions.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 9 2014

Hey thanks bud yep here is abt 2pm ...
                            I'll
                            Have a look after i come from d garage
                            Coz am trying to see whats wrong with the
                            Locks

I just bought this 59 from usa and am trying
                            To get things done so by feb i can make the mot

Do i need a special tool to remove the handle please ...

Srry for asking but i'm new to this model (:

Regards

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                              Hi alll is there someone who can tel me
                              How can i remove the heater core
                              Off my 59 t bird ? I also would like to know
                              Where the pipes that are connected to the core
                              Come from, as i have 1 blocked with q bolt and
                              Can figure out where is the other 1. Situated :s

Thanks a lot

Geoffrey
                              As for the heater hoses the bottom one goes to the intake manifold port next to the distributor and the top goes to the water pump.

To remove the heater core is a rather involved process. I suggest that you buy a shop manual. It has step by step instructions on how to do it. You can download one from a number of sites rather than wait for a paper copy to be mailed.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎