This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Here in the US, from somewhere around 1940 until the mid 80's, all cars used these 'sealed beam' headlights. There were round and (later) square units and larger single light per side as well as double (like our 'Birds).

So, US cars all used the same lights, unlike the rest of the world, for 40+ years. Not real common anymore, but still readily available here. I would think they wouldn't be hard to get over there either. If nothing else, they aren't heavy so shipping them from here shouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that info about the sealed beams.
I thought so too that they would be easy to find here, but not the case.
I remember living in Wheatridge,Co. a long time ago and those lights were even on the shelves of the local Albertsons/Skags Supermarket.
Bought a brand new (U.S) snowblower 4 years back and that one had a wagner sealed beam in it which after it broke, could not find one here.
It seems now, after doing some surfing on the net, that sealed beams are not allowed here in Holland and Finland and probably more of the European countries, and therefore not available
So I can either order them in the U.S.or try to find replacements. The size for the housing must be then, I believe, 5 3/4 inch and code H1 or H4.
Better take the lights out and shop around with them here. My concern is if they fit in the light buckets depending how much more they stick out in the back.

regards
ron
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Ron,

......almost any rim, even modern ones will fit as long they have the same ford bolt pattern....

95% of the rims I saw on the web link you posted were for front wheel drive cars - figured you know but thought I would mention they might fit but will be totally wrong in spacing. FWD wheels are convex shaped (when comparing the bolt location to the outside rim) - our Tbird wheels are slightly concave using the same comparison. I did see a set of 14 inch styled steel wheels from a late 60's mustang - those might work but you would be taking a chance that they would fit the discs. The hubcap on a styled steel wheel could be a problem - may not have the edge needed. You mentioned that you would want to use your stock hubcaps - they are designed for 14 inch wheels so didn't understand when you said you would keep an eye out for 15 inch wheels. Doubt you would find a 15 inch wheel that will accept a 14 inch hubcap. I used mid 70's 14 inch Ford LTD wheels on my Granada disc conversion - original hubcaps work fine. I went with 14 inch wheels because I had just bought a set of new 14 inch tires and didn't want to have to buy another set of tires.

Another option is a set of 14 inch Kelsy Hayes Wire wheels. Listed on ebay all the time for around $1200 US for a set of 4. Not sure if they would work on the disc conversion depending on which conversion you use. If they did work on your conversion that would also solve the hubcap problem even if you had to use 15 inch wire wheels.

Since they are so hard to find there you actually only need 3 steel wheels keeping 2 original drum wheels on the rear (unless you are converting the rear to disc brakes). 2 disc wheels for the front and 1 disc spare - the disc spare will work on the rear drum. That is how I did mine - only drawback is that you cannot rotate the tires for tirewear without removing them from the wheels - how often will it be driven?

Eric
registry 5347
Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuusamon View Post
Thanks for that info about the sealed beams. I thought so too that they would be easy to find here, but not the case.
It seems now, after doing some surfing on the net, that sealed beams are not allowed here in Holland and Finland and probably more of the European countries, and therefore not available.
So I can either order them in the U.S.or try to find replacements. The size for the housing must be then, I believe, 5 3/4 inch and code H1 or H4.
Better take the lights out and shop around with them here. My concern is if they fit in the light buckets depending how much more they stick out in the back.

regards
ron
Hi Ronald,

I'm the second owner of my Bird here in Europe (so I didn't change the headlights myself) but I know the original ones are not allowed!!!
You don't get any permission to registrate/drive your car here with original sealed beams from the US.
As far as I know my headlights are from Hella, I'll let you know ASAP exactly what type.....
Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Experienced

Hi Ronald,

Did some research for you this afternoon on the car, as I still didn't found the boxes with the type-number of my 'Hella' headlights yet. Wouldn't let you wait that long, so took a screwdriver and camera:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16-01-2010 1.JPG (104.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 16-01-2010 2.JPG (62.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 16-01-2010 3.JPG (93.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 16-01-2010 4.JPG (75.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post
Did some research for you this afternoon on the car, as I still didn't found the boxes with the type-number of my 'Hella' headlights yet.

Hi Ronald,

FOUND THEM TONIGHT!
Here's a pic of one box with the correct number on it, hope it helps and happy hunting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3921_800x600.JPG (106.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Are these lights briter than our sealed beams? I put halogen bulbs in my 66 and they seemed alot better. I might want to look into a set of those.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

Thanks Marco, this will help me a lot.
regards
ron
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
Are these lights briter than our sealed beams? I put halogen bulbs in my 66 and they seemed alot better. I might want to look into a set of those.
Hi Bill,

Good question, but I really don't know to be honest.....
Never compared them because here in the Netherlands -Europe- these sealed beams are not allowed! They should be replaced by a headlight whose lights (bulbs) can be changed.
Stupid or not, that's pescribed law if you want to register and drive your 'Amercan Beauty' here.

Otherwise I did a little research for you tonight on the Internet and it seems that 'our headlights' aren't allowed into your US vehicles, according to your federal law.
(I will PM you with some more detailing info on this)
Here are two pics I found, but it's the standard sealed beam instead of the halogen one, compared with the European headlight. Sorry I can't give you the right answer, that's all for now unfortunately........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sealed beam low pattern.jpg (15.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg European beam low pattern.jpg (16.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

You just gave me the answer! Thank you..................Bill