No announcement yet.

trans case repair kit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

trans case repair kit

I discovered this last year and want to share it with the foum,My t-bird would not go in reverse, when the repair man opened my trans he discovered that my inside transmission case was cracked, this is something that happens to medium cases in the 1960's Northwestern transmission has a kit that can used to fix this without getting another case, are you all aware of this? just wanted to put that out there.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: trans case repair kit

I know a cracked case is a common problem with the medium case Cruise-O-Matic transmission. Losing reverse is usually a sign this has happened. I did not realise there was a repair kit for this. Is it possible for you to get a part number for this?

Thanks for the information.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Northwesern transmission as them or had them ad they do not have a part number, they are called case saver's for the cruz-a-matics. The parts people that deal with fords know what you are talking about and if they have them they will send it. I lucked up as the repairman that is a long time friend of the family called and got it with no problem as he istalled them at a ford dealership before there was such thing as recall! :7

Comment

Where exactly does the crack occur? My medium case Cruise-O-matic doesn't like reverse. I've got the trans out of the car and would love to know where to look for possible cracks.
        Thanks for any help.

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

All the times over the years our cracked, it was the center webbing in the main case. The mid-60's full size Mercs & Fords used a heavier case (They figured out they had a problem). Thats what my 60 Bird has in it. Only one thing causes that case to crack. While in reverse, DO NOT put the car in drive until you have come to a complete stop.

________
          IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW
          Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

the crack is in the webbing you should see it, when mine was repaired the guy showed me the crack and it was visible.My car used a medium case, because there were no cases around I had touse this kit. I guess if you magniflux the inside case you will see the crack.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎