X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

Sunroof Panel Replacement

I am replacing the headliner in my 60 bird and am now ready to replace the vinyl on the sunroof panel.

Mine has a seam sewn down the middle to attach muslin the back and the muslin is then glued to the thin steel piece that is part of the panel frame.

Should I sew a piece of muslin to my new vinyl before installing it. Has anyone else done this?

Kevin
    Attached Files
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sunroof Panel Replacement

Hi Kevin,

After seeing your question, I just fired off an email to Kev in England. He is probably the one person who has a ton of knowledge about the Golde Tops, having owned them himself. He knows a lot about them. I asked him to read your post and see if he could give you an answer.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

Originally posted by kevin_tbird
      I am replacing the headliner in my 60 bird and am now ready to replace the vinyl on the sunroof panel.

Mine has a seam sewn down the middle to attach muslin the back and the muslin is then glued to the thin steel piece that is part of the panel frame.

Should I sew a piece of muslin to my new vinyl before installing it. Has anyone else done this?

Kevin
      Kev,
      Take the steel surround and make sure you sand down all the lose and bumpy bits of glue, then glue the sliding headliner panel in place at ONE END first, stretch the vinyl over to the other side but not to tight and glue again, make sure you put weights on each end on top of the metal band, to make sure the glue takes a firm hold and an EVEN HOLD you can use clothes line pegs. , you then sew the cental bar into place before fitting, and dont forget the 4 small cross headed screws in each corner...ONE THING TO MAKE SURE do not! sew the central bar into place until the glue has set around the edge of the steel frame to allow for sag, you will get some sag..you can then stitch the central bar then follow installation process from this website.

Comment

• kevin_tbird
        Experienced
        • Jun 12 2011

So the seam down the middle is factory correct? My replacement panel doesn't have one and I will need to create it if needed.

Kevin

Comment

• Rockin Kev
          Experienced
          • Oct 31 2002

seam down the middle was factory correct,
          Kev

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢