Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyinthermals
    Experienced
    • Apr 3 2013

Would I be using this other spacer as just a spacer and ignore/cap off the plumbing and hook up the pcv hose to the carb just like before?

Another spacer with Plumbing for my A/C application

PCV valve/Hose hookup Point on Carb

Old set up with wrong spacer

sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Woobie
      60lbs is a LOT

60-80 in./lbs

page 3 of the manual

http://documents.holley.com/199r7948-5rev6.pdf
      Since most people don't have an inch lb torque wrench 10-15 ft lbs is the max that should be used. I never use a torque wrench for a carb. Snug is sufficient with lock washers.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• pbf777
        Experienced
        • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by flyinthermals
        The carburetor spacer pictured appears to be for the "spread-bore" carburetor to "square-bore" manifold (as installed) adaption applications, and should not be used in this instance.

If you don't want (or need) to plump the Ford water-heated spacer then I would recommend you purchase a correct "square-bore" spacer as they are not expensive. I would also suggest a "4-hole" unit verses an "open" unit, as the intake manifold would seem to dictate. And the appropriate gaskets (2) to match. One might also consider the material utilized in the construction for superior heat insulatory (word ?) value.

Tighten carburetor retaining fasteners to "wrist-tight" torque value only, as otherwise you will risk warping or cracking the carburetor base plate!

The pluming of the P.C.V. system seems fine, as long as the P.C.V. valve is operating properly & hoses are of correct fitment. Do be sure, one has provided adequate atmospheric venting also.

Don't get excited about the compression test numbers, as they are only relative in your experience. If it don't smoke, don't worry!

And, if I understood some previous posts, don't adjust the ignition timing values fishing for vacuum numbers! Set the timing at accepted values and stop there.

Scott.
        Last edited by YellowRose; June 30, 2018, 11:32 AM. Reason: Moderated...

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by flyinthermals
          Would I be using this other spacer as just a spacer and ignore/cap off the plumbing and hook up the pcv hose to the carb just like before?
          As Scott indicated I would not use the spread bore spacer. Use the stock spacer. You do not have to plumb it to the heater hoses. You can just leave those ports open. If you are not going to use the pvc port on the spacer you must cap it off. If you are going to use it you must get the correct gasket between the intake and the spacer as per the picture. The open portion of the spacer goes down.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

• flyinthermals
            Experienced
            • Apr 3 2013

I went out before I could read these last few posts. I could not decide what to use so I ended up buying this phenolic carb spacer. I was assured it would fit and it came with the gaskets. No pitting to worry about and its suppose to stop the negative effects of heat?

sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Just check the phenolic spacer IS flat!

I had a brand new one that was not flat which I discovered when I found a vacuum leak caused by it not sealing and I had to give it the sandpaper and glass treatment.
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• flyinthermals
                Experienced
                • Apr 3 2013

I do have a "/lb torque wrench. I will hand tight the 4 studs as per instruction. I will dry install the gaskets and I will hand tight the 4 nuts with serrated washers and then torque to 60"lbs. I hope its flat. Thanks for the tip.
                sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Woobie
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 1 2016

So what happened ? The store did not have the proper gaskets so they sold you a new spacer, the same one you took off earlier ?
                  Austin

Comment

• Woobie
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by pbf777

And, if I understood some previous posts, don't adjust the ignition timing values fishing for vacuum numbers! Set the timing at accepted values and stop there.

Scott.
                    x2 what Scott said.

If you use the Ford metal spacer with PCV the gaskets are:

spacer to manifold: Felpro 13303

carb to spacer: Felpro 60059

Best of Luck, flyingthermals.
                    Austin

Comment

• flyinthermals
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 3 2013

Hello Austin, Scott, John, Everyone,

Thank you again for the massive volumes of information. I did not read any posts after 12:30 pm until I got back from auto store. They had limited spacers and I did not want to be sanding the two aluminum ones I had. I don't have a bench so it would have been awkward. I figured new was the way to go. I bought what they had in stock. I brought the spacer and carb with me to the store and this is what they set me up with. I'm not sure if its Felpro. They are in the picture below. Do they look like that brand? I will look online as well. Should I return the spacer and gaskets and go with stock spacer and order the Felpro?

I just had a marathon session in this 35 degree Celsius(thats 95 f to our friend in the south),removing the gasket. Layer by layer using plastic tools so not to scratch the surface and jeopardize the sealing integrity. I will have to go tomorrow and get some gasket remover to finish the job. I will go through the posts to see if I missed anything or anyone. I owe you all a pitcher o suds. This sites amazing. Thanks again all.

Cheers
                      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Felpro makes gaskets. They don't make spacers to my knowledge. It looks to be just a generic spacer that fits many different applications. It will probably work fine as long as there's no leaks. My major concern is with the carburetor. It could be just an adjustment issue but you seem to be running excessively rich. After you reinstall the carburetor I would set the mixture screws at 1.5 turns. That should give you a starting point that won't flood the engine and make further tuning almost impossible. Make small adjustments (1/8 turns) in or out to get the highest possible vacuum.

John

Comment

• Woobie
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by Woobie
                          Ok. Always welcome.

This is a very important adjustment about the accelerator pump. There is a section on the nylon accelerator pump cams also.

How-to adjust the accelerator pump on Holley carburetors to avoid stumbling and hesitation upon acceleration. Tips include: How to check for the clearance be...

And a crappy video about the little holes on the outer edges of the four barrels called Air Bleeds. You can see the air bleeds in the video.

Holley recommends to never adjust or change the air bleed system on four-barrel carburetors. This video explains how the air bleed system works and how to oc...

For tighening the carb/spacer down to the intake manifold it's criss-cross gradual tightening 60-80 in./ lbs.

The video of the accelerator pump.

1. If the accelerator pump is out of adjustment in the always on position, you are gonna be pouring gas into the engine when you don't need it. You can check the adjustment anytime.

2. The airbleeds are important to keep clear of debris.
                          Austin

Comment

• flyinthermals
                            Experienced
                            • Apr 3 2013

Hello Austin

Everything is back together and she is running great. I cannot believe this is the same engine. It must have been a combination of loose carb, multiple vacuum leaks, cracked distributor cap and messed up timing due to the fact I was chasing a timing point that could not be found under all the conditions. I will pull the plugs in a few days to see if there is still oil fouling. The pcv issue is one I will have to think about. I have it blocked off on both ends right now. I was wondering how severe the blowby that was fouling the intake. I thought I read somewhere that some models were venting to atmosphere and had some filter set up. I will look into that. I watched those videos and will have to see where my carb measures. Most carb checks are above my comfort zone right now but I will keep reading. I have a few oil leaks to deal with and they will take the best part of my summer to address. This is hoist work I think and I may have to take it somewhere and let them find the leaks and patch them. Thanks Austin and everyone for your help and patience dealing with my questions and limited mechanical knowledge. It was great to be able to learn what to do from everyones instruction and fix it myself. Have great summer and enjoy your rides.
                            sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Woobie
                              Experienced
                              • Apr 1 2016

In this heat ??

I'll have to commend your perseverance on this issue.

That's just great news.
                              Austin

Comment

• flyinthermals
                                Experienced
                                • Apr 3 2013

Thanks. My motivation was my young son rhythmically asking over and over whenever I walked in the house...."Is it fixed yet"..."is it fixed yet"...
                                sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎