Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which parts on the front bumper get chromed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danowens3
    Experienced
    • Dec 29 2005

Which parts on the front bumper get chromed?

This seems like an easy question but I am struggling with it. I have taken the front bumper assembly off of my 60 hardtop and have taken all of the bracketry etc off. Which parts are supposed to get rechromed? Does the grill get chromed? What about the really light pieces that were in with the chrome? They are silver but do not really feel much like metal, if they are metal they are light weight. Please help if you can as I am hoping to go to the chrome shop tomorrow. Thank you, Dan
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

I just rechromed my bumpers last year. The grille backing (screen) is chrome. The outer pieces are brushed alum. I had those polished. I was amazed how well they cleaned up. Polishing aluminum is an art. Being in the Harley world too, I've seen some pretty bad polishing jobs. Another tip, replace all the carraige type bumper bolts (that show) You'd be surprised how much an old one will stand out against brand new chrome. I did the rear bumper at the same time. It was a real treat to reassemble.

Take your time re-installing the bumpers (have help). A few trial and error sessions and it will set on there perfect.

John

Comment

• danowens3
      Experienced
      • Dec 29 2005

Thank you John

John,
      Thank you for your really quick reply. I was able to read your post before making the trip to the chromer. I dropped off all of the parts to the front and rear bumpers, minus the brackets, and asked them to chrome the bumpers and grill etc. I even took them an extra hood scoop intert and asked them to chrome that. They said that in 6-8 weeks I should have the parts back. Hopefully everything will go well and I will have the car back together just in time for the snow to quit flying and start racking up some miles on the car in '07.
      Dan

Comment

• Husky35
        Apprentice
        • Jun 29 2006

What does it cost to get hood scoop chromed?

Just curious. I am thinking about it, but my hood scoop has a bow in it.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The hood scoops are post metal. They do often warp. It can be bent out, but be very careful. Pot metal if fairly brittle and can easily crack along air bubbles in the metal. What often happens when you try to straighten the warp, the center post cracks off. The consolation is that it can be glued back together, and the aluminum piece that goes over it hides the repair.

Chrome hood scoops were never a factory or dealer option. They are popular now, but you will receive point deduction at national meets for Thunderbirds, if the headlight doors, windshield wiper wells and tail fin trim are not also chromed. It is a tradition nothing more.

I like the chrome hood scoop. My '59 has one.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• danowens3
            Experienced
            • Dec 29 2005

Hood scoop chrome price

I did have to take the hood scoop to a different chrome place, as the place that is doing my bumpers said that they can not chrome pot metal. They quoted me $95 for the hood scoop and the insert. I thought this would be a good gamble to see how it comes out as it is a spare hood scoop. When they are chrome they really look sharp, I am just worried about driving down the road with all this new chrome if I will be able to see.....
            Dan

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

The grille insert and center trim piece of the scoop is aluminum and should not be chromed. It actually looks better with the contrast of chrome with natural aluminum.
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 28 2004

Polished

Agreed. Polished looks sweet. Once it's done, you will only need to keep it clean. Once a year use a good aluminum polish like "Mother's" . It's in a red tub. Works great. It'll keep it nice for years.

John

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 31 2004

Square Mesh Grill

The the square mesh grill is anodized aluminum. Yes it turns opaque overtime but if the piece is nice it can redone.

Fuz
                  58's&64's
                  Sun Prairie, Wi

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎